Saving magazines

DieterZakas wrote: Here's a question to chew on. How many of you save the entire magazine after you've read it, to keep
the articles in there of interest to you? Think about it: after a few years, you'll have a collection of magazines taking up space...a fair amount thereof. ---------------------------------------------- I have Model Railroader back to 1964 and some earlier issues, RMC back to 1971, Trains, and Railfan back to the early 1970s, plus about ten years worth of Model Railroading, RMJ, Mainline Modeler, and others. Living in a two bedroom condo doesn't leave much space. I plan to do something with them soon.
I thought about clipping articles as you mention, but I find that the old ads and new product announcements and reviews appeal to me as much as the articles.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Children's Books and Toy Trains: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore-4 Resources--Links to 1,000 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
Dieter Zakas wrote:

Scan the magazines and save them all to a CD. Then sell the paper copies.
-- Jim McLaughlin
Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Children's Books and Toy Trains: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore-4 Resources--Links to 1,000 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links

copies.
How many cars could you correctly detail and letter, how much scenery could you improve, how many timetables could you prepare and operate in that same time??? Gary Q
Geezer ( snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net) wrote:
:
: > Scan the magazines and save them all to a CD. Then sell the paper : copies. : > -- Jim McLaughlin
: How many cars could you correctly detail and letter, how much scenery could : you improve, how many timetables could you prepare and operate in that same : time??? Gary Q
My thoughts exactly. I've been trying to get the mags to consider having someone scan 10 years of issues at a time and selling them. The editors I talked to weren't interested; they didn't think there would be much of a market. I'm sure they were also worried that there would be a lot of unauthorized copying.
--
Steve Sillato
Life; if you're not having fun, you ain't doing it right! Remember none
On 17 Jan 2005 20:02:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@gcfn.org (S C Sillato) wrote:

I tend to keep historical, construction and layout articles - for lines that interest me, techniques that might be useful and ideas for future layouts.
Filed in plastic sleeves in ring binders. Takes a lot less space than the magazines. But there are always articles I wish I'd saved because inteersts change over time.
"Christopher A. Lee" wrote:

After trimming and saving the articles I wanted about 15 years ago, I've now collected around 1000 magazines plus replaced some of the older ones I previously got rid of. It's getting to the stage where I have to distribute the cartons through the house so that the model railway end doesn't start to sink!!!! I'm actually getting some of them indexed so I can actually find the articles when I need to.
Greg.P.
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:03:42 +1300, Gregory Procter

I assume you are indexing Obscure German Railways Quarterly, and not some of the more mainstream mags as done at http://index.mrmag.com/ ? <g>
Perhaps, before you get too far, you could consult with the Kalmbach indexer, and save the results in thier format? Then you could share your effort with or hobbyists around the world...
CL
Cheery Littlebottom wrote:

Ja!
That's a good point.

Besides the fact that they could put copy-protection on the didks if needed... how would the fear of unauthorized copying affect their decision-- since it's back-issues that we're dealing with anyway, it's not like it would affect current sales.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Djefam) wrote in

Fujitsu makes a great little scanner that would be ideal for this. It scans a whole stack of pages directly to a PDF file. And it is a duplex scanner, grabbing both sides of a page at one pass. It's fast, too. About 25 pages per minute. We use one at one of our branch offices. If I recall correctly, it was about $400 including the software. We bought it from Tiger Direct.
Norman <> http://www.norm-morgan.com
Norman Morgan wrote:

What size is the bed? For years I've wanted to be able to scan and convert electrical schematics at work to Acrobat files. Many, many schematics are printed in 11" x 17" size.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

Alas, it is not a flatbed. Sheet-feed only with a max size of legal 8.5" x 14". It is a Fujitsu fi-5110EOX ScanSnap. Some dealers have it as cheap as $379 after rebate.
Norman Morgan <> http://www.norm-morgan.com
S C Sillato wrote:

It didn't stop National Geographic and Mad from putting their old issues out on CD. Of course, there's one area in which I would like the model RR mags to go a step further than simply scanning the old issues - make all of the plans that have been published available in a scalable format so they can be printed out full size for whichever scale a modeler is working in. I don't know if Acrobat can do this. Postscript is scalable and so is another format sometimes used by printers called Tex.
--

Jim McLaughlin replied: Scan the magazines and save them all to a CD. Then sell the paper copies. ---------------------------------------------------- That'd keep me off the streets for a few weeks!<g>
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Children's Books and Toy Trains: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore-4 Resources--Links to 1,000 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links
The problem with selling the used magazines is that generally they don't bring anything at swap meets - even a 2-3 year old magazine that sold new on the newstand for $4.95 won't bring more than 50 cents these days. And older issues, you're lucky to get $5.00 for an entire year. The club I belong to has MR complete, and maintains a subscription to it to keep it complete (guess where it's stored?), and I have RMJ complete on top of that, along with many years of RMC and a number of others. Maybe scanning them is the way to go, but at best that's a time-consumming process.
Overall, a good question, and some good answers so far.
Matt

Dumb question:
Is there a DVD-ROM magazine service for MR and RMC somewhere?? Kalmbach doesn't seem to have one for MR. And even though Kalmbach wants to sell off paper mags (do they keep all the film when all issues are gone?), I would think they could make nice money to all those railroaders with no space for mag. stacks. True, not everyone has a DVD drive in their computer yet.
I would dearly love to have some of the MR's and old Trains mags from the 60's and 70's with those terrific articles. Yes, I could buy someone's collection from an estate. But what quality? Missing issues?
And if Kalmbach won't do it, why won't they license a 3rd party to scan them in for a nice royalty? It would be sort of free money for Kalmbach. I think I'd actually pay more for several complete DVD's than a stack of moldy, dogeared mags.
Larry 17jan05
Jim McLaughlin wrote:

Probably because no third party will do it for a "nice royalty." It's not a big enough market (at this time).
In article snipped-for-privacy@110.net, ldc at snipped-for-privacy@110.net wrote on 1/18/05 2:02:

Don't you mean CD-ROMs?
Nevertheless, it probably would be a good idea - up to a point. Technology today allows us to search such databases to extract the desired information. Where magazines are concerned, it would be helpful in our case - you want to look up all the depot styles of the XY&Z Railroad and perhaps build one from scratch.
It's actually easier to do that with magazines published in the last 15 to 20 years, as their layout and design has been done on computer, so it's just a matter of importing the data. For older issues, however, there is the challenge of locating pristine or nearly-pristine copies, scanning them, and indexing them for the CD. Given that MR has over seven decades behind it, you're talking no small undertaking!
Dieter Zakas
No, I meant DVD-ROM's for data. These are the same media that Microsoft now distributes all their developer software. They work like big CD-ROM's although higher density.
"just a matter of importing the data...." Well, we do this at work and it is not totally simple, especially with mixed file types. But I agree it should be easier than optically scanning 1000's of pages.
Larry
Dieter Zakas wrote:

In article snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3256.bay.webtv.net, Bill at snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote on 1/17/05 17:15:

Here's my question.
Where reviews are concerned, just how helpful is a product review of, say, a locomotive from thirty or forty years ago? It could be helpful if the model it discusses is still in production to compare improvements therein, but what if it isn't? Would you keep it then?
Where my friend is concerned, is one of practicality. Handling and storing his collection of clipped magazine articles is significantly easier than an entire quarter-century's worth of MRs. (In light of his changed interests, he's now refining his filing system.)
He found himself in an interesting situation: because some of his articles were printed back-to-back, he's had to photocopy the affected page prior to clipping the articles so one is not left incomplete. It took some time to do this, as well as money, but he got it done. The result is that he had effectively freed up some space in his house.
As for me, I have RMCs dating back to 1983 when I subscribed, and miscellaneous issues before then. My MRs date back to the early 1980s, but the subscribed issues to 1995. Then there are various other hobby mags, as well as Trains and Railfan & Railroad. Just what am I to do with them?
All those magazines are presently stored in three or four twenty-gallon bins with lids and three split-lid bins (the kind whose lid halves lock together). It was a bear to move them to my present place, and I do not desire the chore of moving them again. Besides, the bins could also be used to store other things, too. Thus, I'm working, however slowly, at identifying articles I'd like to save, and if there are back to back pages, note these for later copying. Then, I cut out the articles and set the carcass aside for recycling.
In the one sense, I can see the justification for keeping entire issues, but digging through them can be a daunting task if you're looking for a specific item. However, what good are ads from many years ago? Reviews and construction articles I can understand...but ads?
Any other thoughts?
Dieter Zakas