Q: Selling old HO scale railroad lot

Hey gang, I'm from the RGVAC boards (rec.games.video.arcade.collecting) and was wondering if you could enlighten me on pricing old HO scale trains and accessories. I have a box full of old HO stuff upstairs, which I've spent the last couple months mauling over wether or not to get rid of it. I highly doubt I'll ever get around to doing anything with it, but I'm not sure if it's worth selling or just holding onto it. Most of it is from the mid to late 80's, was given to me by my father. Most of it is in poor shape, missing a wheel, or a latch. It would be great for the people that tinker with trains, have spare wheels and stuff..

's a pic, there is much more track there than what it looks like..

Reply to
wangtough

Quick answer, I just bought a five gallon bucket full of old HO stuff, cost me a whole $10. Unless you have brass, or something that's really rare, HO stuff doesn't bring much. Figure the track and power paks are worth exactly zilch, the one car in a box maybe three bucks. Can't tell too much about the locomotives, but didn't see anything scarce. The turnouts, probably Atlas, also worth very little to nothing. Out of the five gallon bucket, I got four container flats, and they're in the category of something I'll never use, not even any parts I want. Pretty much a waste of the ten bucks. Three locomotives, none that run.

Greybeard

Reply to
Greybeard

Another thought about what to do with old model stuff.

Here in Syracuse NY the local chapter of the NMRA gathers stuff for an auction held every other year. Many donate things to the auction so it helps provide funding for the chapter. BTW they don't have a local chapter dues thanks to the auction proceeds.

The other thing they do is gather other stuff and do a raffle at each meeting and let the winners pick from the accumulated things.

Real junk they have in a 'grab bag' that members might need things for kitbashing and such.

Also look for local train clubs. They are very likely to receive things and make use of what they can. Or they would be a good source of opinion on what the value of the contents might really be.

From your picture I'm suspecting the track is all brass track which nobody uses anymore. As for the rest, other might have better comments about.

Reply to
Ken Cameron

Put it on ebay. I think you will be surprised at how much it brings. Also post it on this news group when you do. I am still amazed at what people are willing to pay on ebay.

ChrisGW

Reply to
ChrisGW