Magazines biting the dust

Well, R/C'rs after many decades, RCM is a goner...and I just heard from a R/C buddy in England that the venerable RCM&E (Radio Control
Models & Electronics) has also just folded. Probably hard to under stand but either the sales of the magazines dropped off or management was poor. As far as I am concerned, RCM had become a glossy magazine full of glowing reports of everything, especially ARF's. In the past there were interesting articles, things to build and such...but no more...also they, and most others as well, didn't have the guts to say a plane or something else they were reviewing was just plain junk. Model Airplane News is also becoming another glossy product review magazine catering to the advertisers and not necessarily the readers (IMHO) and it is no longer interesting to read. Still there is Flying Models which is interesting and worth reading, and even R/C Report and Gordon Banks does have the guts to say something is deficient when it really is. I subscribed to RCM for years until it got boring and also MAN..which I did not renew.... So much for my opinions... Frank Schwartz AMA123 80 years young...still building and flying....70 years of happiness....

R/C Report is one of my favorite magazines. Not only honest, but fun.
Good flying, desmobob

One of the reasons that I no longer buy magazines of any type is because of the small print. A backlit computer screen makes reading so much easier that there really is no competition from printed media these days.
I too like Gordon and the crew at R/C Report.
I do not miss RCM. Their stodgy form of glorified infomercial articles finally tore it with me. Ditto other model magazines.
It is sad to see such institutions fading into the past, but such is life.
Ed Cregger

Yes, I subscribe to RCR, too.

I miss Clarence Lee.
            Marty
Clarence Lee is now in MAN April 06 issue.

That's good news!
Thanks for passing it on.
            Marty
Has anyone received their February 2006 issue of RC Report yet? Since it is already February 7th, it seems a little late. Also, the RC Report web site ( www.rcreport.ws ) still shows the January cover as their current issue.
Later,
Treker in Minnesota
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:59:46 GMT, "desmobob"

Received the MARCH issue yesterday; Feb issue was out last month on time.
Cheers -- \_________Lyman Slack________/ \_______Flying Gators R/C___/ \_____AMA 6430 LM____ / \___Gainesville FL_____/ Visit my Web Site at www.LymanSlack.com
"Jay Bickford" > Has anyone received their February 2006 issue of RC Report yet? >Since it is already February 7th, it seems a little late.
Question for this group...
Sound off ! Do you think that "printed media" like R/C magazines is going by the way of the doe-doe-bird ?
If so...is "Car & Driver", "Fishing", "Field & Stream", etc., etc., etc. going to suffer the same fate ?
Thoughts ?
CJ

Younger folks with good vision will probably still buy printed media, albeit not as much as in the past. But, still in significant quantities.
I don't know how many senior citizens prefer computer ezines to print media. I can only judge by myself, but, as stated previously, magazines must offer something worth reading besides thinly disguised advertisements and they must address the issue of small print.
Ed Cregger
Ed, You're kidding right? I can understand that small print is a problem for the seniors but for anything longer than what will fit on a single page I absolutely HATE reading material on a computer. I'll print out anything over a couple pages before I melt my eyes looking at a monitor! Much less eye strain reading from a nice printed page. Even worse, have you ever noticed that you can read a book and have no memory of turning pages??? It's so easy and automatic you don't have to stop and think to do it and then remember where you were on the page before. I've tried things like Zinio Reader for magazines and never have gotten comfortable with the interface. Certainly I love the search options for reference materials that electronic media allows but if I just want to sit down and enjoy a good long read I've got to have a real printed page. Someone desperately needs to create an ebook standard interface that would look and act more like a real book before I'll be happy to read from it. I have to read hundreds of pages of technical material every month and that means I burn hundreds of pages off our laser printer at work 'cause I just can't do it on the laptop without serious eye strain and continual re-reading due to the page turning thing. The Human interface part of this technology has a long way to go. Ohhh and don't forget how good the feel of a nice leather bound tome feels in the hands and the smell! Let's get that included as well... OK, I've written the specs for it so somebody go make a fortune from it!!!
Jack

Believe me, Jack, I know exactly where you are coming from. However, my problem has to do with diabetes affected vision. My prescription virtually changes from day-to-day, therefore, reading glasses are a near impossibility for me.
I used to consume two or three books a week with many magazines and work sheets/tech manuals thrown in to boot. But not any longer. I miss reading a great deal.
Ed Cregger
We have often heard about never seeing a bad review in any of the modeling magazines.
This one just appeared in a popular magazine that may survive.
Summary: I do not recommend this kit. It was not enjoyable to assemble, the completed model had an ecessivly flexy wing, and the landing gear was unsatisfactory. If you somehow wind up owning this kit I recommend no more than a .25 - .28 2C or 4C equivalent. Our wing did not break as I'd feared, but that was likely due to the very gentle way it was flown. Simply put, there are so many better choices, it seems a shame to invest your time and money on this loser.
For those of you in Rio Linda - he didn't like it.
Red S.
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says...

Where can this honesty be found? Sounds like a magazine I'd like to throw a few bucks at.
R/C Report. March 2006 page 63 end of report on Sportsman Aviation Ryan STA
http://www.rcreport.ws /
Red S.
says...

modeling
completed
unsatisfactory.
.28
this

Once more, I'd like to throw in my support for this honest magazine. I don't think I've every read another magazine of any type that has such a friendly, casual, comfortable, humorous feel.
Save yourself some time and trouble and go ahead and sign up for two years right off the get-go.
Not affiliated in any way (other than being a big pizza eater), desmobob

I hope not, otherwise I'm going to need to start hauling my notebook and a wireless adapter into the john so I've got something to read. :)
Kevin,
I did not think of that : ( .........ohhhhhhh nooooooooo !
Ok, if this happens....I guess we all need Ipaq's or tablet PC's in order to look at RcUniverse or RC Groups...
Would it be considered "bad form" to chat on one of these sites while you sit ????
CJ
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message wrote:

I don't see why. Unless you tried to duplicate the "echo" you'd get in there if you were yapping on the phone instead... :)

Nearly right..... RCM&E will still be available here in England. The publishers went into receivership with a whole bunch of magazine titles that were losing ooodles of $/. Another company has quickly moved in and bought some of the hobby magazines, RCM&E being one of them.
It seems that there is a small number of hobby specific magazines that were making a tidy profit whereas all the more general (read rubbish) titles were losing money in a big way.
The company that has bought the successful hobby titles has also made a large amount of money available for further development and expansion of the hobby magazines... they did the sums and `cherry picked' a small number of profit making titles that they see further scope for.
Newspapers and magazines are becoming increasingly threatened by the internet. What newspaper can update news as fast as an internet site ? Most magazines are lightweight trash and unless they serve a dedicated group i.e modelmakers,wood/metal/craft workers or professional bodies,etc wil fold. How many `celebrity' based mags do you see on the shelves... all covering exactly the same things as each other ?
Reg