RCM Magazine Again

I'm a subscriber but somehow I haven't panicked. If they are indeed in good shape and simply are having problems with their printer, as has been alleged, why the heck don't they put at least some kind of explanation and projected schedule on the front page of their web site? It's just plain incompetent not to. Without an "official" explanation they're open to all sorts of electronic innuendo and speculation. Why are they having a publications close-out? Why don't they address these kinds of questions directly?

I still like the magazine alright but it looks like there's some bumbling goin' on right now or worse, hanky-panky.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

God get over it man! Who cares if this rag goes under? There is always going to be another one to take its place. And frankly, after having reviewed its last several issues, I don't see any great loss.

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

Well Mr. A.....I do care :)

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

Mr Assimoto. I care.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

I indeed care! I like the knowledge I acquire from the likes of C.F. Lee and Col. Art Johnson.

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Fine! Mr. Akimoto, you've expressed your opinion, which you're entitled to. However, you should also be prepared to be wearing your Nomex BCD's because you're going to get toasted from the flames.

I read at least 3-4 magazines month in and month out. (RCM, FM, MAN, plus RCJI + RCME + Backyard +....)

I've been reading RCM through thick and thin periods since the early

1970's and have seen the differences in style, editorial content and advertisers.

You can also include MAN (Model Airplane News) and FM (Flying Models). Only FM has stayed true to its size (thin).

If you want to complain about advertising, check out some of the ladies magazines, especially fashion or home-decorating. RCM at its fattest usually had at least 50% of the pages with at least one column-width of article.

Advertisers are what pays for the slick, glossy paper and keeping the prices to a reasonable value. If you're a low-number magazine, you won't get the advertisers beating down your doors.

I follow the rip-rule for articles -- I go through the magazine at least a month AFTER I've had it and cut out the articles that I want to hang on to for future reference or adding to the someday list.

Most of the articles in my files come from .... you guessed it! ..... RCM

I'll believe that RCM is dead when I see their obituary in the other magazines.

Speaking of which, they've got a special on for plans -- might as well stock up rather than sending money to eBay scam-artists.

Reply to
byrocat

Howdy Ken:

You big dufus bumpkin hillybilly boy. I guess with your pin-sized brain in your little cranial cavity you just don't have the imagination or intelligence to build anything without a plan and someone to lead you step-by-step through the worthless and useless process of building balsa models.

Don't worry after you read this, you can kick the dog and beat up the kids and the wife. BTW, I believe RCM stands for Radio Control for Morons!

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

Byrocat & Lyman Slack:

You two are truly the intellectual intelligentsia of the modern day world. Well that is a world where the reading level is comic books. I imagine all of your reading is practiced while on the pot too!

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

True story: Motomouth looks up the word 'dictionary' in the dictionary and it says, "You're holding it, moron!"

Then he looks up 'moron' and it says "You again!"

And that's how he came to be able to use the word "moron" in a sentence.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

The magazine has officially ceased publication per posts on this board earlier. I had a question back in March about them when the issue to replace April never showed up. Fly RC and some of the other mags just did a better job of staying at the forefront of what was new and how the business was changing. At the end, RCM reviews and other editorial were really not good - not as bad as the swill that AMA publishes under the guise of literary effort, but close.

Let's hope MAN gets the message and assimilates their doo-doo.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Funk

Those of us that paid for a subscription might care, thats who. Maybe you are made of money but thats $29 or so that could have been spent on something else.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I too have enjoyed RCM over the years -- and I still purchase plans from them. Mr. A seems to thrive on insulting people -- reminds me of junio high smart a's. When the hobby loses such a publication, the entire community loses another valuable source of information. For those of us who enjoy building ( and can!) all resources are valuable. -- GMW

Reply to
GMW

Yes, RCM is gone, I have it from a very good source. ( DON'T take my word for this, just wait and see ) Thankfully, you will see some of their better columnists move to other mags.

Bill Davenport AMA 28141

"Charlie Funk" wrote:

Reply to
badbill

I wonder what will happen to their plans ? I have/had only bought one set, but it is only my first plan built.

Wayne R. Russ

Reply to
Wayne R. Russ

Hopefully the AMA will pick them up as they did the John Pond collection. The RCM plans would be a lot "cleaner". I understand some of the Pond Plans had a bit of shady background when it came to copyrights.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

LOL.......you are one of the best trolls I've seen for a while , or the biggest a**hole.

I have never met a military pilot anything like you. All that I have met have been very respectful , well disciplined gentlemen. Makes me wonder if you really were one. What branch of service were you in ? What did you fly ?

You keep referring to old geezers...field geezers , and you claim you have over 40 years experience flying miltary aircraft and been retired for some time. That would certainly put you way past middle age and right in the old geezer territory.

Personally , I think you're a troll. If not , well..........

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

"Red Scholefield" wrote in news:ba2Oe.19115$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

True, there were a few that were still available from original sources. Overall though, John carried plans that were not available from other sources. If one wanted to build a plane, he was viable. That went for Sterling Models, I bought his copy of the Mambo from him.

I wanted to get copies of Goldberg Jr. Falcon and Jr. Skylark too, CG did not have these available any more, then Pond Plans went out-of-business. Fortunately, I was able to purchase them from modelers through Joe Wagner's Small Net news E-mail.

BTW, haven't seen Small Net for a while, Joe stopped sending a year ago, then it started up again for several months, then discontinued again. Joe also is no longer writing engine column for MA. Anyone knows what's happening with Joe?

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

Akimoto, you have no honour -- why not try a little sepuke.

Oh, sorry, sepuke was reserved for the nobles and samauri, which you show that you are neither. So be the peasant that you show yourself to be and just go find a big rock and climb under it.

Reply to
byrocat

According to the person who answered the phone this morning (8/22) they're skipping the July, August and September issues and my subscription will be extended by three issues.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

Hey Pete,

What's 3 X zero? I hope they comeback, but this doesn't look good to skip

3 issues with no explanation.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield