Model Engineer magazine - gone?

Apologies if this is old news, but does anyone have any further information on the publisher of Model Engineer magazine, Highbury House?

According to several sources, example

It appears that the titles are currently for sale an Highbury's share price is 0.7p, not good as their debts are nearly £30m.

MH

Reply to
max

The article seems pretty much up to date as far as the grapevine I am connected to goes. Of course it is MEW as well as ME that is affected by this - will be interesting to see where they end up. It seems pretty certain that they (ME and MEW) will be sold on as a going concern - mostly a matter of who ends up buying them.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I wonder if they will honour pre paid subscriptions ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

That question had just been drifting through my mind, too..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

An excellent question it is too. However, it would be pretty daft for a purchaser of a title to piss off its dedicated readers by failing to honour existing subs - it would lose them long-term revenue.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I hope so, my wife just got me a subscription for Christmas.

Reply to
Peter Neill

affected

Rumours are circulating again about a mangement 'buy in' - but then they also circulated when Argus was in decline

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

If I was working for one of the mags I would be nervous about being bought out by people that may have "managed" to get them into the situation in the first place.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Seems strange that what is, on the face of it, a thriving industry cannot support a magazine like this.

Presumably the advertising revenue dried up and that was it.

Or is this a symptom of the reduced spending power of the public coming through?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Last November I took out a years subscription to MEW, I've not recieved any issues yet so have been emailing them recently. Their partly automated replies say that my enquiry has been 'Actioned' but they never actually say when the subscription will actually start!

Ian Phillips

Reply to
Ian Phillips

I very much doubt whether it is the "special interests" mags that are the problem - from all accounts they actually make money. It is the rest of the group that is the problem.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Peter, It is my understanding that certain titles are in themselves viable, ME & MEW being two and hopefully will be rescued.

They really do need to sort out on the management side though. My subscription for MEW ran out and every time I remembered about it and rang thru, I either got no reply or a message saying they only handled subscriptions before 12:30. Needless to say next time I remembered was after 12:30........

Fortunately they posted a notice saying sign up as WH Smith are no longer stocking this mag and since then they have had half a dozen copies each issue.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

In their 2004 annual report Highbury House admit that "We are also in the process of finding buyers for our remaining Lifestyle and Special Interest portfolios" - that's from the chairman's statement published in May 2005. On that basis that they haven't been sold yet I wouldn't rate their chances very highly. Frankly they've faced the fragmentation of their markets (ME and MEW) by online communities about as badly as it could have been done. That doesn't mean that I don't hope they pull through but I won't hold my breath.

As a subscriber as long as they've not gone into receivership your money should be OK. If they do then kiss your money goodbye 'cos the taxman will have it!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Peter,

On the contrary, the ME's advertising content seems to be quite healthy and the amount of advertising space seems to have increased over the last year or so along with the improvement to the editorial content. However, I don't know whether they might have decreased their rates and are getting about the same money for an increased turnover.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Here's hoping they survive! I grew up reading this magazine, and was just about to subscribe again, after a gap of 10 years.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Special

published

wouldn't

Not sure of the legal niceties or nuances but I understood that they were 'under administration' . Not sure where that sits with receivership.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I don't believe that is the case right now - the company has simply asked for dealings in its shares to be suspended.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Correct - acoording to the papers on 6th January. And asked Ernst and Young to conduct a firesale.

If anybody wanted to buy ME and MEW I'm sure that you'd get a warm welcome!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Bugger it, got to pay the tax and VAT this month otherwise I might consider it. Could always ask Ower Gert, she's usually good for a bob or two

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Nahhh.. taxman won't see a penny of it.... it's even worse than that ... the damned accountants will take whatever cash there is to cover their costs of Receivership.

Reply to
ticktock