RCM

Anyone know what's up with this magazine? I don't subscribe but pick it up at the newsstand once in awhile. The last issue was for March/April with some explanation about why they had a double issue. I haven't seen another issue since. Maybe Barnes & Noble stopped distributing it or something.

Reply to
Charlie Funk

Geoff Sanders

Rumor has it that RCM is going TANGO UNIFORM. But it's only a rumor.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I think they are having some problems and that should be cleaned u

quickly. I'll know more next week (I hope)

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

Hi Jerry -- Keep us posted. I've noticed the size of the magazine has been drastically reduced the last two issues??

Cheers -- \_________Lyman Slack________/ \_______Flying Gators R/C___/ \_____AMA 6430 LM____ / \___Gainesville FL_____/ Visit my Web Site at

Lyman Slack

They must be having money trouble. I went to their website, and I see that they are having a "4 for the price of 3" sale on plans. Also a book clearance.

I used to subscribe to the magazine years ago, when I had a worse case of the RC disease than I do now. I used to wonder why I got the magazine, because the only thing I liked was the construction articles and the advertisements. But now that you can get anything you want on the internet, including anything that they might put in a column or article, there isn't much point in printing a magazine. Even their plans have been pirated so thoroughly that they can't make a buck off of that any more.

RCM is an institution in the RC world, but I suppose that all the dinosaurs have to keel over eventually. I wonder if they'll pull it together.

Charlie Funk wrote:

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

I was an "old" RCM guy ...still got issues from '75 to '87 ...but I fin

FLY R/C to be the all around mag for R/C flyng now...their electri content is good AND a free plan every two months that you can hav printed full size for $3.00

If you don't change with the times....you become part of history.

Bil

-- retiredVT

----------------------------------------------------------------------- retiredVTT's Profile:

this thread:

retiredVTT

hi red what does tango uniform mean? i guess it means bankrupt belly up any one know for sure ??

Reply to
cann47

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:59:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in :

Tango Uniform = T.U. = "toes up" ==> (metaphorically) dead as ditchwater

Yes.

I'm sure that's the meaning of the phrase.

Not sure of anything about RCM's actually health. A major editor died in the last year or so. Perhaps his demise set things back?

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

That's the truth! Fly RC is not only wearing out RCM, they're kicking Model Airplane News' butt as well. The staff at Fly RC is probably among the best in the industry right now. The stories are well written and their publication schedule/turnaround time is giving them at least a twoo week edge over MAN in getting on the street with news items.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Funk

You got it. TU= DEAD! Tango Uniform you don't want to be.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I'll go with Jim's definition :)

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

I picked up Fly R/C mag on the newstand and hated it. Nothing but ads and electric articles. It was basically my worst nightmare of what RCM would become.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

So, if I'm correctly interpreting the general reactions of those who post on the internet, modelers who like big balsa planes and greasy engines want to read magazines, but they don't want just a bunch of ads and electric articles. The magazines want to publish a bunch of ads and electric articles, but the electric modelers aren't interested in reading it, so the magazines are going down the tubes.... Right?

Sounds right to me. I sure don't want to read a magazine that's comprised of ads, ARFs and electrics. The mags have really gotten boring with that stuff.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Actually I would like electics, if they had motors and batteries that would last as long, recharge as fast, and be at least as economical as glow.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

I quit taking RCM over a year ago -- "replaced" it with FLYRC and FM.

When Dick Kidd died, the mag really took a turn for the worst including stickin in boats as construction articles -- and that sill business about printing only part of the plans to prevent piracy.

Also dropped RCR despite its excellent reports; really got tired of al the mega sized airplanes. If they're doing some smaller ones nowadays I might re-up.

hwel

-- gwinh

----------------------------------------------------------------------- gwinhh's Profile:

this thread:

gwinhh

So that means they're only two and a half months behind instead three months.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Try RC Report. They concentrate rather heavily on big balsa airplanes and scale stuff.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Gee's Robie you haven't looked at electric lately. Took my Formosa ou today and with my 2100 lipo pack ( I have three ) I flew three flight and all were around 18 minutes each. That was enough for me for th day as it gets hot here eairly. Total time at the park about 1/4 mil from my house, around 2 hours of flying fun

-- starca

this thread:

starcad