HPR Magazine

Hello All,

Can someone help me figure out the recent publishing history of HPR magazine?

I re-joined the TRA a while ago (August I believe) and received my membership stuff around the middle of September. In the membership package was included two issues of HPR magazine. One was the March

2001 (vol. 15 No. 8) issue, which consists entirely of an index of past issues, and the other is the June 2003 (vol. 34 no. 5) issue, which has one article about steam rockets and another about liquid rockets. The March issue is a full size magazine (8.5" x 11") and the June issue is a smaller, non-standard format (6.75" x 9.5"). None of them had any HPR content at all. And why send out a March 2001 issue in September 2003?

Since then I've received one more issue; July 2003 (vol. 34 no. 6). This issue is also in the smaller format. It also consists mainly of liquid rocket information, although it does have one HPR article about the Springfest 2003 launch. The liquid rocket articles are interesting, but they have nothing to do with HPR

Today is November 29, 2003, and so far I've received issues up to June

2003. So where are the July, August, September, October, and November issues? Have any of you received these issues? Is this small non-standard format going to continue?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

You'll get a lot of political TRA bashing in response, but you won't get an answer.

The people who control the magazine don't post here. Why don't you contact them?

Reply to
David

if you don't get what you paid for and want to file a complaint with the usps ( beforing doing this I would contact the HPR publisher 1st and perhaps ask for a refund?) and also file a complaint against the HPR publisher with the TRA BOD by sending an email or letter to each....

This would be Mechandise or Service- Failure to Provide or -Misrepresentation of Product or Service..

There is a Failure to Provide Merchandise: in this case a regularly scheduled HPR magazine and there is also a Misrepresentation of Product in that saying you would get 12 monthly issues(on time) ....

Misrepresentation of Product may able be taken to mean the actual "content" or lack thereof ........

that of course is just my interpretation of the (?) law.......yours may be different .......

shockie B(

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

I'll try to be nice, yet informative. HPR has had a long history of 'sporadic' publishing. Each year brings a promise of improvement; not fulfilled, but at least promised. I finally opted out of the magazine subscription a couple of years ago. Don't expect much improvement.

Reply to
Brian Kosko

Huh? 2001-2003 went up 19 VOLUMES?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Funny.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

He must count in dog years...

Reply to
David

Mick wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

Please, tell me paying for and not receiving a magazine is not worthy of bashing. He could have bought a nice rocket for that subscription price. But,.. it's right there on the application, now isn't it? If TRA is hanging on to the money until an issue is generated, how are they not responsible?

Joel. phx

It is clear who "controls" the magazine. Contact the United States Post Office and file a mail fraud complaint.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Okay Ray and other TRA members. Let's do a reality check.

"more issues coming".

To make this statement true at minimum two things MUST happen:

  1. ANOTHER issue would have to come out before 12-31-03.

  1. YET ANOTHER issue would have to come out before 12-31-03.

Wanna bet? Like big?

Just deep pockets Jerry. Ask Mark!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

here are the HPR issues I recieved since I joined Tripoli in Jan 2002, number of pages (fron and back covers inclusive), and the table of contents for each

=== full size issues [8-1/2" x 11"] ===

Vol 33 No 1 Jan 2002 64 pp - Editor's Column, Vacation in Paradise, Story Musgrave, Regulatory Alert, STS-97 Crew Profile, The P6 Payload, Rocket Art - Part 11: Setting Up Altimeters, Space Shuttle Main Engine, Crawler/Transporter, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Pad 39B

Vol 33 No 2 Jul 2002 36 pp - Editor's Column, Membership Application, Rockets Red Glare, Spaceshot 2000: A Civilian Space Launch, Exhaust Gasses Diamond Pattern, All the Way Dad, X-Prize: Space Travel

Vol 33 No 3 Aug 2002 36 pp - Three's a Crowd: Clustering HyperTek Hybrids, Race For Low Cost Launch Vehicles: A New Engine Design, Third Time's a Charm, V2 Restoration, Ray Dunakins LDRS XX Aerial Photos, The Gates Brothers Hit LDRS XX, Rocket Art - Part 12: Strange Shapes, Modifying LOC's Coolant Module, Building a Better Mousetrap (PML's CPR-3000 Mods), Editor's Column

Vol 33 No 4 Sep 2002 36 pp - Editorial, BALLS 10, Sparky Motor Testing, The Rocket Go-Cart, Do Not Try This At Home, NASSA: GPP, DIY Motor Retainers, NASA Rockery and the Standards 2000

=== Reduced size issues [ 6-3/4" x 9-1/2"] ===

Vol 33 No 5-6 Double Issue Oct/Nov 2002 80 pp - Editorial, The Babylonian Interstellar Tactical Crusier for Hyperspace, Solid Rocket Motor Part 3 - Solid Propellant Grain Design and Internal Ballistics, The Ultimate Reloadable Motor - Part 1: From Utah to Florida

Vol 33 No 7-8 Double Issue Dec 2002 68 pp - The LDRS Story, LDRS 3, LDRS

4, LDRS 21 - Texas Style, LDRS Historical Journey (Pictorial), The Ultimate Reloadable Motor - Part 2: To Space and Back, Separating Myth from fact About LDRS

Vol 34 No 1 Jan 2003 40 pp - Editor, Bowling Ball Loft, Rockets for Schools - Sheboygan Wisconsin, STS-107 Crew, And the Winning Team is ... R.O.U.S., Mini BALLS 2002, Turkey Shoot 2002

Vol 34 No 2 Feb 2003 [not recieved]

Vol 34 No 3 Mar 2003 32 pp - Guest Editorial, BALLS 101: Separating Myth from Fact About BALLS, BALLS 2002, Success and Failure: Sometimes These Things Happen, NASSA GPQ, Flying Blind

Vol 34 No 4 May 2003 48 pp - Plumbers Dream, Prefectures, Editorial, Product Reviews, Gates Brothers at Black Rock, Collectors Corner, We Are Thunderheads, CO Advanced Parachute Deployment, When Bad Things Happen to Good Rockets

Vol 34 No 5 Jun 2003 48 pp - Editorial, Collectors Corner: Ken Mason Rocket Junkie, Rocket Go-Cart on Steam, Introduction to Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines - Part 1, Milestones in Cryogenic Liquid Propellant Rocket Engine Development in the United States Through 1969 - Part 1

Vol 34 No 6 Jul 2003 48 pp - Springfest 2003, Editorial, Prefectures, Milestones in Cryogenic Liquid Propellant Rocket Engine Development in the United States Through 1969 - Part 2

no other issues have been recieved since this last one

- iz

Michael Newt> Can someone help me figure out the recent publishing history of HPR > magazine?

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

lets see look at some history ...

Vol 33 No 1 Jan 2002 64 pp Vol 33 No 2 Jul 2002 36 pp Vol 33 No 3 Aug 2002 36 pp Vol 33 No 4 Sep 2002 36 pp Vol 34 No 1 Jan 2003 40 pp Vol 34 No 2 Feb 2003 [not recieved, excluded from average] Vol 34 No 3 Mar 2003 32 pp Vol 34 No 4 May 2003 48 pp Vol 34 No 5 Jun 2003 48 pp Vol 34 No 6 Jul 2003 48 pp

total 388 pages in 9 issues average 43 pages per "single" issue

Vol 33 No 5-6 Double Issue Oct/Nov 2002 80 pp Vol 33 No 7-8 Double Issue Dec 2002 68 pp

total 148 pages in 2 issues average 74 pages per "double" issue

Ray said he recieved the Aug issue yesterday which I expect is 48 pages. (What is it actually, Ray?)

so if Brucie would like to match Vol 33 (2002)'s eight issues [including

2 "double" issues], he would only need to print one more "single" issue in 2003

Brucie made a commitment to produce 12 issues annually see

if that is supposed to be effective for 2003, he would need 5 more issues (after August's). That could be 1 "single" plus 2 "double" issues

although an average page count of 74 in a "double" issue is somehat shy of 2 "single issues" (at an average page count of 43 each "single")

- iz

Jerry Irv> To make this statement true at minimum two things MUST happen:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Care to bet your lunch money on that?

:-)

Bob Kaplow

That's correct, 48 pages.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Well, I don't know that I'd go _that_ far. I take food pretty seriously. ;)

I'm just passing along the info to someone who asked, as to what is _supposed_ to happen. I certainly hope that Bruce can not only maintain the schedule he has set, but also get the content back up to the level it once was. (More launch reports and construction/tech stuff, less reliance on NASA and professional rocketry stuff.)

Unfortunately this is a tough time for sport rocketry businesses, including magazines. Even ER is struggling. HPR has the added drawback of having alienated much of its former support base.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Stand your ground. Put your product sales money where your mouth is. Like me.

Endless hope?

It's NOT magic. It's self-destructive behavior. Heard the news lately? Stock market up (Dow 9700), interest rates record low. (Fed funds 1.0%,

30 yr mort 4.5%) GDP growth RECORD HIGH (8.4%).

It just doesn't get any better than that!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It runs on Kelly standard time. In other waords whenever he feels like.

Welcome to Kelly world. I've brought this up on the TRA list & apparently it's fine with the BoD. HPR is no longer about HPR it's about doing the least amount of work possible & still getting paid. That includes making the pages smaller (which also increases his profit), reprinting publicly available NASA papers & articles & publishing pictures of his junk collection to fill pages etc.

Page 20 explains a lot of it. If you believe anything Kelly says, you'll be happy after reading it. I'm not happy.

DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO HPR!!! DO NOT ADVERTISE IN HPR!!!

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Yea - I'll bet. Not against you.

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Yes I'll bet he can do an 80 page issue with no problem. All he has to do is take some pictures of the junk in his basement & reprint a long article that he lifted from NASA.

It's not about quality or applicability of content.

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

I knew you would finally come back to reality. 8-)

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein