Loki Research motors at LDRS

Production and sale of Loki Research reloads has begun. Another AP motor vendor is in business.

Loki was selling 38mm and 54mm reloads at LDRS. These are precertification reloads and cannot be flown at a Tripoli launch until certified. They could be flown at LDRS as manufacturer's demos.

Mark Clark has the motors at TMT and they may be certified as early as next weekend.

Loki had special prices at LDRS and I don't know if they will have other specials when dealers get the certified reloads. I almost bought some J222 reloads and a case, but by the time I found my LEUP, they had closed for the day. I ended up not going back on Sunday.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Interesting, I thought that the sale of uncertified motors was prohibited by NFPA 1127 (the official TRA safety code).

----------------------

6.1 Prohibited Acts. The following activities shall be prohibited by this code:

(4) Selling, offering for sale, exposing for sale, or making available a rocket motor or motor reloading kit that does not comply with the requirements of this code and that has not been certified in accordance with NFPA 1125.

----------------------

But I guess TRA can decide which parts of the code they are going to follow.

Brian Elfert wrote:

Reply to
David Schultz

Well, we all knew _that_ already...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I'm sure it would have been different if it was motors from US Rockets :-)

Bob Kaplow

Haven't seen their propellant yet, but I saw a the 6" Loki motor hardware used with experimental propellant for the flight of Aurora at Wayside, Texas a few weeks ago - sweet stuff!

Reply to
Tad Danley

so much for "self-regulation"....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Ugh, this is not true, otherwise I'd have them in hand. Mark never has taken delivery of any motors from any manufacturer. Also we do not have a certification scheduled right now for a couple of months. Not sure where you got your information.

Paul Holmes

buffalo

Loki said that TMT had the reloads. They also mentioned that they were supposedly going to get certified next weekend. They said the reason they hadn't been been done yet was because Mark was at LDRS. Maybe they didn't specifically say Mark had them.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

LEUP needed? How is that a good thing?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Wanna fire some motors from one of my vendors?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It is the not-Jerry exception to the rule.

The "proper procedure" is to remove all Loki principals and dealers from TRA for acting contrary to the goals of the corp.

Then blackball them for 14+ years.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Same place he got the 75' measurement.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Not quite correct, I said that we will be sending motors to TMT when we got home from LDRS and that we hoped that TMT would be able to test them by the end of July.

-Jeff Taylor Loki Research

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

No, we did not.

Dude, who did you hear that from? It sure as heck wasn't anyone at the Loki Research booth.

Wrong again.

Ah, now we are getting somewhere. You don't actually have any specific recall of what you were told. Please don't make anymore pseudo-press releases on our behalf.

To clear things up, I will post a note regarding motor certification in a new thread.

Thank you,

Jeff Taylor Loki Research

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

Guilty as charged. I did offer 3 for 4 pre-certification deals on my

38mm reloads. I thought people might want to take advantage of a lower price and no shipping charges even though they wouldn't be able to fly the loads until the certifications were done. I was wrong. No one bought any 38mm loads! I went to LDRS with 200 38mm grains and I came home with 194. The other six went into the J528 demo motor that I gave (no charge) to Phil Stein. Anyway, I don't plan to attend anymore launches as a vendor before the certifications get done, so this won't happen again.

How'd you like that motor Phil?

Jeff Taylor Loki Research

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

Jeff.

I'd like to comment on how nice your demo flights were. Every one thst I saw worked flawlessly. I did a demo with the 38mm J540 in conjunction with my new ARTS Altimiter. The flight was great.

The 54mm star grained motors were vey cool.

Good luck with your motor manufacturing.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

OOPS I meant J528.

Thanks again Jeff.

Reply to
Phil Stein

jeff: you don't have anything to be guilty for.... first of all nobody even knows if NFPA 1125 is in force in NY State.... If NY State is a NON-NFPA state you could sell all the uncertified motors to anybody you wanted to...

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Well, NFPA 1127 is the TRA safety code, so if they sold uncertified motors at LDRS, they did violate the TRA rule. I expect that the vendor and 6 customers will be appropriately dealt with by the TRA board.

NOT!

Bob Kaplow

Bob, whenever you demand that someone in TRA be dealt with "appropriately", I'm always reminded of a scene from the movie, "The Untouchables":

"I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burnt to the ground!"

Reply to
RayDunakin