Status of buying I-K motors mail order?

I am sorry that I have not been following the BATF problems more closely these past few months. With all the rulings, changes, HSA and various interpretations of the same by different suppliers, I have a question.

I am level 2 certified but I do not have the BATF permit. Are there currently any on line suppliers where I can order H, I, J or K motors? Can suppliers legally ship me I - K motors and if so, which suppliers? I am trying to stock up for LDRS but if I can't get any motors I might as well stay home.

Send me a private email if you like snipped-for-privacy@joecool.org

Joe C.

Joe C

Never been to an LDRS, but isn't there normally lots of on-site vending? My inclination would be to buy at the site, rather than trying to "stock up" by mail order...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Pretty much any vendor will ship you H-J easy access reloads. Aerotech

54mm including K motors still requires a LEUP. Cesaroni Pro54 may not require a LEUP because they come mostly preassembled. There is some question if the Pro54s come preassembled enough to qualify as PADs.

I will would buy from Magnum at

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

No they don't. Some vendors might inappropriately demand them, but they are NOT a legal requirement in any way.

I would strongly suggest buying from a vendor who has read the court judgement and sells ALL propellant actuated devices (motors) with NO LE*P.

Vote with your dollars.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

90% of HPR/Amateur users are "lone rangers" who like to play with, fit test, and generally HAVE their motors in their posession as god and the law intended.

Hence why HPR is now down to 2500-3000 certified users (combined TRA/NAR) and amateur rocketry is up to well over 30,000 now.

Ahhh, the "advantages" of codification!

Rapid negative industry growth.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

How many votes can I get for $40,000?

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

1/10 of the entire worldwide HPR market!
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jerry,

I do like the, "vote with your dollars" quote! I agree the best thing we can do at this time is to make sure all flyers AND vendors are on the same legal page....no better way to educate vendors better than sending dollars to their competition until they catch on. However, you'd really think the vendors would be well versed on the current rulings since the rulings had such direct potential to effect their businesses?

Westy

Reply to
Westy

LOL!

Good one, Doug. I barely avoided the monitor spray.

steve

Reply to
default

They are operating out of (baseless) fear. Why else would they require unneeded permits?

The trick is to allay their fears. The most effective way to do that is support those on the right path with business. The others will either follow or lag behind.

Darwinism rocks!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The TRA is interpreting the court ruling to say that the unassembled reloads are not PADS. A reload is only a PAD once assembled.

Bruce Lee told me at a recent launch that LEUPs are still required for so-called restricted access reloads because thegrains are not a PAD until assembled.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

No more than labeling rocket motors as what they are as opposed to "model aircraft parts", huh?

I sure wouldn't want to take advice on federal regs from someone who got nailed to the tune of $40K.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I guess handing over 40 grand to the feds, in administrative fines is no deterrent??? Call it fear or respect; it's still 40 grand in hand, due payable to the man, lost on appeal -- what the deal?? What's wrong with the above as part of a business model???? Makes me want to run right out and invest.

Fred

Fred

Reply to
WallaceF

Bruce Lee's statement appears to contradict what I have been told....perhaps we could get board members from both TRA and NAR to post here (RMR) how exactly rocketeers are to be interpreting the latest ruling.

I thought it was quite clear that EVEN the reload kits were to be seen as PADS (for the time being until BATF gives us another round).

I for one would like to hear what TRA and NAR (at the top) have to say about this.

Can anyone here forward this request on to the appropriate parties in both TRA and NAR?

Westy

Reply to
Westy

90% of high power rocketry fliers? I doubt it. Amateur rocketry, maybe.

Yeah, right. What's your source? You're pulling numbers out of your butt again.

Reply to
RayDunakin

That's why he should be removed for crimes against the hobby.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Someone from whom they will not simply delete the message or reply "thank you for your inputs" and then proceed to ignore it.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Bullshit.

"In addition, the Court finds that the ATF's pronouncement that sport rocket motors are not PADs is invalid because it was made without compliance with the notice-and-comment rulemaking procedures of the OCCA and the APA."

So I JERRY IRVINE ask Bruce Lee and every alleged moron at TRA and Mark Bundick and every alleged moron at NAR, "ARE RELOADABLES SPORT ROCKET MOTORS OR NOT".

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

This, coming from someone who was removed for crimes against the hobby!

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Nope. Not on ATF issues.

Deal with it.