pros and cons list for Pro38 and Aerotech engines.

Forwarded from

I would appreciate any input on this

I have been looking into HPR engines lately and decided to write a pros and cons list for Pro38 and Aerotech engines.

Pro38

Pros: simpler to assemble Adjustable delay cheaper hardware

Cons: Can only use Pro38 motors Canadian company(not sure if this is a con)

Aerotech:

Pros: can use reloads from different companies Aerotech and Dr. Rockets cases are interchangable

Cons: Bankrupt company(I know he will probably emerge from bankruptcy but has to be listed) set delay black powder for ejection is seperate and might be messy in the field

This is just a small list that I am hoping to add to later. If you have any additions or changes to make please feel free to reply to this.

Reply to
Tater Schuld

Pro for AT...

4 types of propellant!

Con for Pro38... Only 2 types of propellant

Reply to
Tim Summers

Also I heard a rumor that AMW will be making reloads for the pro38 stuff!

Not sure if this is a Pro though since AMW reloads are a little on the pricy side.

Reply to
Tim Summers

AMW motors have a higher ISP I'm told. You get what you pay for. Have fun!

Reply to
Nozzlehead

Inherent 1.4C classificatons on J-M+ motors (fewer shipping restrictions)

CE marking in place or imminent

Massive and increasing availability

hardly a dual source benefit, probably should be switched to CON)

Inherent 1.3C classifications on J-M+ motors only shipped as 1.4C in domestic US under an exemption. (More shipping restrictions)

No CE markings and not likely soon.

Minimal availability.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I can confirm the rumour. The "colors" will be priced similar to Proxx stuff now so it will be more variety for not much more cost and far better availability and shiping than AMW could ever achieve.

Jerry

Disclaimer: I do NOT work or speak for CTI or AMW and any rumor I spread is as likely to be false or way jumping the gun as true and immediate.

But can you show me any examples of where I was wrong and the information was floating for more than a week? :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Really...? I wasn't aware that an AMW reload would fit into an AT case. Or an Ellis Mountain reload, or a Kosdon. I know AT makes Kosdon reloads, but you still need the Kosdon hardware.

Reply to
Len Lekx

But they're working on changing that... :-) When AT reloads first came on the market, I doubt they had more than one or two types of formulations. (Redlines are - what - a couple of years old...?)

Reply to
Len Lekx

It will very soon.

Reply to
Nozzlehead

Two

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Some CTI and soon AMW loads will fit direct into larger RMS casings (75mm and 98mm maybe others)

Pure speculation of course:)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I like the Aerotech stuff because there are more reload choices per casing. With a lot of the AT cases,(but not all) there are 4 different reloads available for it at varying thrust levels.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

All current consumer CTI 75mm and 98mm fit Dr. Rockets and Aerotech hardware now. I've seen them launched. They refer to it as Brand A compatibility. The CTI website has a news section where it mentions that AMW and CTI got together to discuss motor compatibility.

Len Bryan

Reply to
Len Bryan

While AT offers more selection per case, one cannot help but love the CTI stuff. If the rumors I have heard about AMW and CTI are true, then I would go totally Pro38. The loads are much easier to assemble, and that can be good on them cold days (here in the MW). I personally like the Kosdon motors and the snap ring cases so that I can also use them for EX motors.

Reply to
Stephen Corban

Just exactly how does this fit with the certification of these motors? Can motors be flown with any reload/case that the user decides? The NAR certifications state specifically that the certs only apply to AT reloads in AT cases. They don't even allow for the use of Dr. Rocket cases. Which way is it?

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

How soon, and which ones?

Truth be told, I'd rather hear this from Gary R. himself. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

The specific configuration has to be certified.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

I saw that - the announcement was made some time ago. I haven't heard anything about it lately, so I'm wondering just how far it got.

Reply to
Len Lekx

It's based on what hardware the manufacturer specifies for a particular reload.

Where does the NAR disallow Dr. Rocket cases? (Aerotech says they're the same thing as the AT-branded ones with respect to compatibility - in fact, I believe one size (29/360) was released as a "Dr. Rocket" model before the AT "black label" version became available.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

My understanding is that it started out as a warranty issue. If someone puts (say...) a Kosdon reload into an AT case, and it catos, then AT won't replace the hardware... since it wasn't used with an 'approved' reload. Certification policy probably evolved from that.

Reply to
Len Lekx