suggested engines for LOC kits

Hello, I recently completed building a LOC Onyx (my first LOC kit and first non-Aerotech mid power kit). Besides coming in a bit heavy (weighs 20 ozs with modifications...larger parachute, sonic locator, etc.), the suggested engines from LOC seem to have delays that are far too long (even for the "stock" weight of 13 ounces). LOC suggested using G40-10 and F50-9 engines. Even at 13 ounces, Rocksim showed these delays to be too long. Given my current weights, the following engines seem to be about right: F25-6, F50-6, G40-7 and possibly the F20-4 (chute deployment a tad early with rocket moving at 37fps, but should be okay given the stout chute)

What does the group feel about this...do you feel that LOC kits often specify a delay that is too long?

Craig (a recent BAR)

Reply to
caheaton

The LOC recommended delay times are *WAY* too long. Always have been. BIG problem for those who do not check as you did.

It would be nice if they fixed that. Customers should urge them to do so for safety's sake.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Well done. Your research and subsequent motor choices should avail you some successful flights.

steve

Reply to
default

your instincts are right...after flying a few mid power kits you get a feel for correct delay times and min average thrust required for any given kit. Listen to your feeling and as you have done, check when in doubt.

btw, I just finished making an app 'GLOW Worm' which works out if your rocket/motor combo has enough thrust to get off the ground. You might find it of some use...

Advanced Rocket Club - Western Australia

Impakt

After you've flown your LOC kit awhile (and guessing it'll probably be overbuilt), you'll hopefully develope a confidence that these kits can often handle more motor than recommended... ;-)

Reply to
Andy Eng

Just an update for the group...thank you very much for your help and suggestions. Finally got to launch my Onyx yesterday. It was a tad breezy, but not too bad. Winds were maybe 10 MPH when the rocket went up. Maiden flight was with an F20-4 Econojet...beautiful flight with just a touch of weather cocking into the wind that made for an attractive smoke trail. I used a 6 foot rod to help the rocket build speed before "clearing the tower". I had hoped to launch again with an F25-6, but had a devil of a time getting the ignitor to go into the slot in the grain, so we gave up. (See my new post for more on this.) Overall, I'm quite pleased with how it flew...I was a touch worried about stability and weather cocking due to slow lift off but all went well! Craig

Reply to
caheaton