[FFT] Loc Weasel

Does anyone happen to know if its still stable when shortened up by removing the payload section?

--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L1
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"

It should be. It is one of LOC's more stable rockets.
www.v-serv.com/vcp to verify.
I've put the Barrwoman Equations into a spreadsheet. Posted to alt.binaries.models.rockets.
Not fully automated, a little bit of double entry, but "fairly" easy to use.
--
Tom Koszuta
Western New York Sailplane and Electric Flyers

Cool - thanks.
--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L1
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"
yes (someone knows) Got Rocksim or equiv?
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:16:47 -0700, "bit eimer"

removing
I loaded Rocksim 7.0 with the LOC Weasel file found at EMRR
I loaded a nice Ellis H50 into it and it was marginally stable via barrowman and stable via rock sim. 6949 feet
I next loaded a Ellis G35 into it and it was stable via barrowman and overstable via rock sim 4036 feet
My favorite engine on a full length Weasel is the I-69 in the shortened one it is barly stable, but shows 8018 feet.

There is no such thing as over stable.

-----snip-----
Yes, there most certainly is. An over stable rocket will weathercock and turn into a horizontal missile if there is any appreciable wind.
John<==don't ask me how I learned this

Hi John, I understand you may have had a rocket do this.
however, most rockets rocksim says are over stable do not fly horizontal into the wind, and most won't even over weather cock.
In fact many over stable rockets will oscillate like a mean machine.
some designs will weather cock.
some designs will fly horizontal into the wind if they have lots of nose weight that is making them nose heavy trying to get a missile design to read static stable as a rocket.
many things make up the design differances of a missile vs sounding rocket.
much the same as a Skylark vs a CAP 232

Thanks for your helpful answer. I don't have Rocksim (yet). Maybe soon.
--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L1
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"
Dude! That's what Rocsim is for. Eh?
--
Marty Schrader

Up and Over...