Anybody use "Tog-L-Loc"?

I have a sheet metal joining application that tog-l-loc process will work well on and I'm hoping somebody is familiar with and using the system. Their website is good but nothing beats experience.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

What do you want to know? Whirlpool uses it to hold a refrigerator together as well as several other large manufacturers. Works better that spot welds IF you don't have a bunch of vibration. R. Wink

Reply to
R. Wink

I want to hold side plates on wire wheel brush sections, 19 ga. CRS. The plates touch in the center 2 inches sandwiching a brush section between them. I want the loc's to be as close a step in the plate as possible as this would be the limit as to how big of an arbor hole I can punch. The step is about 1/8" deep with a 2" dia. From the website, it looks like 3 or

4 loc's will do. I don't know how big of loc's to use or how big the die insert is as to clear the step.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
3,0mm / .12" Tog-L-Loc® Punch Side Metal Die Side Metal Shear Peel Report Thk inch Thk mm Type Hardness Thk inch Thk mm Type Hardness Lbs. N Lbs. N No. 0.040 1.0 Steel B 40 0.040 1.0 Steel B 40 200 890 100 445 11623

4,6mm / .18" Tog-L-Loc® Punch Side Metal Die Side Metal Shear Peel Report Thk inch Thk mm Type Hardness Thk inch Thk mm Type Hardness Lbs. N Lbs. N No.

0.040 1.0 Steel B 44 0.040 1.0 Steel B 44 405 1802 140 623 12321 0.040 1.0 Steel B 78/80 0.040 1.0 Steel B 78/80 475 2113 140 623 12739

Using the numbers from the web site, it would appear that you'll be using either the 1/8 or 3/16 diameter tooling based on the material thickness and since you're going to be using them in both shear and peel, you'll need the use the peel numbers above. torque transmission, with 4 loc's is something around (200*4)*radius or about 600 in-lbs. Peel is something else. You might want to submit your design to BTM for them to run samples and to do peel and torque testing for you (I think it's free, IIRC) The PDF data sheet

that the most problem you'll have, if I understand what you're trying to do, is dealing with the offset. In order to get the tooling in the offset, there is a minimum distance from the "wall" that you must maintain. Using a style "A", 2 bladed receiver, the minimum is 5.8mm (.23") for the 1/8 and 3/16 sizes. With a 2" inside diameter of the offset, the .23 minimum distance from the wall and a 4.95mm (.195") button diameter [for the

1/8" size], the "free" or remaining flat would be 2-((.23*2)+.195) =1.345 and 2+((.23*2)+.28)=1.28 with the 3/16 diameter. I did not look at physical size and weither or not you actually can get the receivers in the 2" diameter but if .23 is 1/2 the diameter, then the tooling will fit within the diameter. R. Wink
Reply to
R. Wink

Thanks! I wanted to get a projection welder but my power company wants $20k to run a new 880 and says that it would sag my current line as I am at the end of a run. They're not happy about a new welder only gulping huge current for a few cycles and they won't make any money on it. So, a mechanical bond is the answer.

Reply to
Tom Gardner