Who's got the best eyeballs?

Another early morning thought struck me, who can eyeball the dimensions of a workpiece the best? Say you grab some stock off the shelf and say it looks like a quarter inch... and ends up 0.243". Not bad eh? Or while machining, you think the workpiece is about this wide now, but you have to measure it to be certain. But it looks unusually spot on, or something. And you measure it and find you eyeballed it perfectly...

Tim

Tim Williams

Supposedly, Ettore Bugatti could do even better. By eye, he could reputedly file a suitably sized piece of metal to fit virtually any size and shape of hole.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

I got an eye like a dead perch. Enough said.

Jim Kovar Vulcan, Mi

Reply to
Jim

Huh. You wear gradient lens bifocals too?

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

Do you have any further details? At work I have to file things "to fit" constantly. This means that the part is fitted into another (and checked regularly against the other part). To do it without having the option of checking it would be very impressive. To do it merely without measuring tools is somewhat more common due to the way Europeans (Germans, for instance) like to teach their apprentices.

The dies that make car body panels are made this way. They are machined "close" and then finished by hand. Measuring tools (other than a CMM) for class A metalforming dies are fairly useless at many points throughout the building process.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I saw it in a book about Bugatti when I was about 13 years old, 50 years ago. Hav't a clue what it was called.

Reply to
Leon Heller

The best I ever did was eyeball a rod fron across the room. A friend had just miked it at .062, so I 'eyeballed' it and said it gad to be .0625. A $5 bet ensued, of course I won easily.

Reply to
Nick Hull

(Snip)

I do that from across the room all the time.

The best technique is to stand perfectly still and 'eyeball' before the end of your nose knocks the work out of alignment.

:0)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I'm starting to get good at eyeballing alignment of the centerfinder to a punch mark in the mill. I can get within about 2 thou by eye, when I check using the gauge.

Brian

Reply to
Brian