ROL NEWS--AeroTech Re-releases D21T Single-Use Motors

AeroTech Re-releases D21T Single-Use Motors July 20, 2005 Web posted at: 5:37 PM EDT
(ROL Newswire) -- AeroTech is re-releasing its 18mm D21T single-use
model rocket motors, which have not been manufactured since October 2001.
These motors are the same physical size (diameter and length) as a black powder 'C' motor, but produce over twice the total impulse. The D21T also delivers more power than a black powder 'D' motor in a much smaller and lighter form factor. They are perfect for rockets of lightweight construction as well as oversize models that need more impulse than a 'C' motor can provide.
The D21T will be available in 4 and 7 second delays.
The D21T is defined as a "model rocket motor" and while no user certification is required, they are recommended for consumers 16 years of age or older.
The D21T can be shipped via U.S. Postal Service Parcel Post with no hazmat fee, due to the fact that the motor contains less than 30 grams of propellant.
A copy of the D21T instructions (including a thrust curve and other motor data) in PDF format may be downloaded from the AeroTech Resource Library at http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com .
Source: RCS Rocket Motor Components (RCS), Inc.

Hope Gary will answer the important questions - barcode & bag thickness.
In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Phil Stein at snipped-for-privacy@ArielSystems.spamsks.net wrote on 7/20/05 6:30 PM:

Barcode- of course.
Bag thickness- 0.004"
Gary
--
Gary Rosenfield
President, AeroTech Consumer Aerospace

Thanks for your speedy reply to this critical question. I'm surprised ROL doesn't provide this info for everything. 8-)

black
smaller
Actually, another real question. Must, or have, these been rectified? They've been out of production for about 4 years, and are now made in a much different facility. We all know that there might be a problem... Just look at the Ellis J350s!

Just use Kevlar to build the fin can & you 'shouldn't' have a problem. 8-)

Made at Ellis Mountain (explod-o-jets). Cedar City, UT is "blessed".
:)

Rectified 'm? Hell, damn near killified 'm!
(I think you meant "recertified", no?) ;-)
In article 4UCDe.78$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net, AZ Woody at snipped-for-privacy@here.not.email wrote on 7/20/05 7:29 PM:

The D21T is still NAR "rectified":
http://nar.org/SandT/pdf/Aerotech/D21.pdf
The "Ellis J350s" were made in eastern Texas in a facility that did not have temperature and humidity control. AeroTech actually had the same problem in Las Vegas during the summer "monsoon season". The manufacturing facility was cooled with "swamps" which raised the humidity to similar levels for a few months of each year.
Current production is in Utah in a temperature and humidity controlled environment. The facility was examined by a DOT-approved lab and was found to be acceptable by the DOT.
If you read our DOT approvals you will see the Cedar City, UT address listed at the top.
Gary
--
Gary Rosenfield
President, AeroTech Consumer Aerospace

For over $2.4m in capital cost, Iwould hope so.
What was Ellis, about $50k in capital cost or so?
Jerry

Darn spell checkers! You know what was meant!
Seems the page at NAR you reference says the motor was last certified 9/3/95, and as it's been not made in almost 4 years, and clearly seems to be out of the "three year rule" for S&T and TMT!
Come on Gary.. Do you have some deal where S&T doesn't follow their own rules for your motors? Per the NAR documentation you provided, it's been almost 10 years since they tested this motor!
The Ellis J350 "problem" might not have occurred if S&T/TMT had re-certed the motor based on the change of manufacturer, the location, etc...
RCS (the current manufacturer) is not the same company as Aerotech (the company that had the certification). You bought the AT IP in a fire sale, from your self, but the change in manufacturing location/environment means a big change which needs to be tested!
RCS is a different company, making motors at a different location (state) than AT. Everything needs to be recertified! (a prime example is the d21 which has not been tested in 10 years!), or S&T and TMT are clearly not performing their function...
Does anybody else remember the "red delay liner" problem? Yet another case where Gary got by with changes that were ignored by the testing orgs, but turned into a real problem.....
Gary, spend $20 and send S&T a new set of reloads for the D21 and get it tested. Heck, it's been 10 years!
I hope the RCS motors test out the same as the AT motors, in all cases, but then again we won't know unless they are tested!

May I pay your renewal fees for you Gary? Then I can have certified motors again :)
Jerry Irvine wrote:

jerry, Better stick to worrying about your own financial "position".

NAR has been lax in updating the "last tested date" on the PDF files. I've asked them to fix this, and been told that they would do so.

Agreed.
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<< Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
People who exercise their embryonic freedom day after day, little by little, expand that freedom. People who do not will find that it withers until they are literally "being lived." They are acting out scripts written by parents, associates, and society. --Stephen R. Covey
Again: Is the pdf showing the "last tested date" or the "last date we tested this motor and found out it's performance changed"? In other words, if the retest shows the same performance withing acceptable limits, they don't re-generate the same data sheet.
true, but his new d21 also uses a new molded casing that the old D21 didin't....I would consider that a major change..
shockie B)

Ignore the man behind the curtain.
Hey on a non-adversarial note, this seems to indicate we are closer indeed to the "Quest" D20 as well.
Jerry
yeah I asked over on TRF why in the world we need an AT/RCS D21 and a Quest D20, when both are probably made by the same people.....
shockie B)

Yup. I'd say this was enough to trigger a new cert. I notice that Gary hasn't chimed in on this thread... He got caught with his shorts down (again) and just wants it to go away.

When you are the "favorite son" of two member associations, he gets some special consideration. I am not so firmly opposed to that as the negative special attention others get as well.
A level AND FAIR playing field is all I have ever advocated at Tripoli but that is a distant dream.
Jerry