How do I ship these MachBuster motors?

I'm reluctantly planning to sell a factory-sealed RocketVision MachBuster through eBay or Rocketry Online. (This kit is most likely the very last one shipped - as my shipment arrived AFTER the company closed.)

The problem is, I have two motors for it - 24mm AeroTech G55-10W "DOT Class 1.4S Non-Standard Rocket Motor." They really should stay with the kit, as they were specific to it - but I have no idea how I can legally SHIP the darned things!

Any help from the experts in the audience? Anyone want to make an offer and come get 'em? (I'm in the Philadelphia area.)

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

In a nutshell, you can't. At least not without specific paperwork authorizing you to do so. On the NAR website there's a document with who you have to contact at the USPS to get the appropriate permission.

An easier route would be to find a local dealer who has the proper paperwork to legally ship, and see if, for a small fee, they'll ship them on your behalf. That's how a friend had some reloads shipped to him -- we found a dealer who was willing to do it, and we paid the dealer for their time.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

It seems to be common practice to just mail them based on the many auctions of similar Aerotech product on ROL all the time.

I suggest you do not post your intentions onto the internet :)

Also there is a single vendor banned from ROL. At least it is not the burned down, bankrupt vendor that owes them almost $4k :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jerry, Didn't You have a bankruptcy? Jerry, Didn't your DPT shop burn? Jerry, Don't You owe in excess of $50,000 to plaintiffs in a Fraud Judgment against you?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Jerry, I generally value your opinions and I DO realize that you have some axes to grind - but I'd appreciate it more if you had some useful input on the question. I didn't understand your comment about "Who's been banned from ROL" - nor do I see why I should care.

Thanks.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You can ASK a motor dealer to ship the motors for you...

They can ship via FEDEX OR UPS ground hazmat service. Most dealers have an account with the hazmat shipping set up with one or both of these companies.

NO doubt someone will suggest shipping illegally... NOT recommended... fines ARE STEEP... RISK to YOU and the hobby is great....

OUT OF CONTROL shipping is one of the reasons for the rocketry community being so high up on the BATFE radar screen.....

ROL sellers AND online retailers who ADVERTISE that they ship illegally are not helping us............

Bobby B

If you sell it and can get it to me I'll ship it for you via FEDEX ground service... You [ or seller pay actual cost ] I'm about 3 hours from you..... I can meet in Northern, NJ hazmat shipping is 20.00 plus the actual cost to ship the package.

Reply to
bobbyb

There's been plenty of your motors hawked on ROL lately as well.

The guy asked a valid question. Nothing the matter with that.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

No it's not. Having associations as traffic cops is the problem.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

like I said, a "good egg"

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

You know, I've got a sealed Machbuster that shipped on the 12th of December..about what, a week before they closed. I wonder what these things would bring at auction?

Reply to
Reece Talley

Don't sell 'em...

Give them to somebody in the area who will build and fly it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I'll give ya $25 for it. And build it , and fly it, with an altimeter in it. I have a F101, and had a G55 but that might have been burned.

RDH8

Reply to
Robert DeHate

If it matters to a collector, here's how I got mine: I'd heard "something" was up with the company, and quickly placed an order. A day or two later, the web site was proclaiming the bad news; and my kit was still in transit.

It arrived with a shattered body tube. I figured I was out of luck, but I found a personal email address for the owner here on rmr. To my surprise, he responded and replaced the kit, although the company had been officially gone for a week or two.

Given the silly prices I've gotten for some kits over the years, I'd blushingly thought I might get $100 for the kit and two motors.

I'd like to see it built and flown as Andy suggests, but I'm not really in a position to give away assests right now - and since I don't seem to be building and flying myself...

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Scott, I say you sell the kit, and motors seperatly on auction. Just state that the motors must be picked up and wont be shipped in the auction details.

And to save yourself the hassle I can do you a favor and buy the kit off you for $25.

Realisticly $100 for the kit and motors seems a bit high, especially given the current market. Anyway, the motors are worth way more than the rocket kit right now. I think on auction you could get maximum $25/motor. And the kit, might go for as much as $40.

Good luck RDH8

Reply to
Robert DeHate

I have a Check Six (finished), a Mach Buster (about 1/2 way done) and a Grymm (still in the box). Once I finish them all I don't plan on flying any of them. I may not even build the Grymm.

What blows is that Rocketvision accidently shipped me 2 Grymms and, being the honest fool that I am, I returned one of them. They were out of business a couple of weeks later. Had I known that, I would have paid for the second and kept it. Oh well. Durn old murky crystal ball.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Kurt, Your not gonna fly the Mach buster because your shipping it to me?

GREAT!!

Thanks RDH8

Reply to
Robert DeHate

I like Robert. He makes me laugh.

;-)

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

These motors exceed the propellant mass likits for the USPS :-(

Bob Kaplow

The Grymm flies poorly (IMHO). I have flown mine a couple of times and crashed it too. Now it's a "bondo bird". It looks as good as ever but I sure used a lot of glass and bondo to patch it up. I have the entire RV fleet. My favorite is the Chariot. It looks cool and it flies well too. I modified mine to use the cargo bay for the 'chute and wadding. It lets me use a bigger 'chute without the difficult deployment that comes from stuffing the stock 'chute in that puny tube.

Reply to
Reece Talley