How much for one of these?

This little bronze worm wheel, part of a 40 year old engine, failed last week.

The makers were able to supply a replacement by next-day delivery. When the engine was new in the 1960s, they were listed in the manual at £3 10s 2d. How much today??

Allow not just for inflation, but for the company existing now mainly as a spares supplier, & they quite likely only turn over single figure numbers per annum of this sort of thing.

Guesses?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

100 quid give or take the odd groat.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Given that my dad was on £12 10s pw in the early 60's and an equivalent wage would be £25 000 now, then £150 would be quite reasonable!

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

mainly

figure

Well when I bought a very similar one for my Pedrazoli Mecbrown cold cut off saw it cost £174 plus carriage plus the VAT . I was amazed that they still had them as the saw is late 1960's

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

£3.51, as they blew 1" of dust off the package on the back of the top shelf and found NOS items

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

The RPI was 12.6 in 1960 and is 206 now, a 16 fold increase. Allowing just for inflation it should be about £60. Actually on cnc machines nowadays you could knock those out for a fraction of that and maybe the company hasn't allowed for only selling one a year. So the question is do I guess silly expensive or silly cheap? I'll say £40.

Reply to
Dave Baker

£37.50
Reply to
Charles Ping

Come on then. Spill the beans.

Reply to
Dave Baker

£240 ++ Or so I'm told, luckily I didn't have to fund it, even temporarily.

This is the engine:-

Kelvin T8

This is a later version:-

The gear is on a cross-shaft which drives two ram (reciprocating) water pumps, one for raw water and one clutched bilge pump. A nut had come adrift in one of the pumps and jammed under the end of the piston rod, causing the stripped gear & a bent shaft. All back together & up and running as of this evening.

I expect a new gear could have been made, even as a one-off, for less than that subject to finding someone with the right equipment & right size hob to do it, but not on a next-day delivery basis, plus there's always an element of doubt when working from a (knackered) sample rather than from a drawing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

right

there's

Fun looking engine, surely THAT'S not on a canal, or do they water ski behind narrow boats ? - or at least not a UK canal !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Pro-stock narrowboats?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Now if you had only asked me first ---------------- there you go another lost sale and mine were only £239.99 each ;-) Go on then what is the T8 driving? Just for interest, there is a T4 going into an old Tug at R.W. Davies at Saul soon. Replacing a big Mann Diesel.IIRC. BTW I am looking for an HR3 or something similar for a colleague currently building a 70 ft NB. If you know of anything please let me know.

-- Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Parkend G+S "Governments are like Nappies, they should be changed often." (For the same reason)

Reply to
Electricky Dicky

I've got an HRW3 in bits, basically sound, no gearbox, open to offers.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

A 200-ton capacity tank barge

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Another thought, I have a Dorman 2DL looking for a home. This would make a very nice engine for a large NB, 30 bhp @ 1000 rpm, but there would be a fair bit of work to do in marinising etc. Open to offers, it's a bit in the way at present!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Hi, Just registered to ask about the Dorman 2DL. Where is it located an

what condition is it in. Is it a 2DL1,11 or 111.

Simon

-- Simo10

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Simo108's Profile:

this thread:

Simo108

I had to think for a bit as to what the connection was

I wouldn't have a clue as to whether it's a I, II or III. Didn't know there were such things!

Near Warrington, Ches. Not run for a year or so, but believed to be in decent order.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Reply to