Anyone have one of these?

I am looking for a tool cabinet for in my shop. It won't be moved a whole lot, I just have to much crap up on the shelves and want it all in something. The price of a new Snap-On chest is out of my budget, the used Vidmars aren't cheap either.

Reply to
Wayne

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Tried the punch card cabinet, not really that usefull. The draws are to small :-) all they did was collect the small junky stuff.

The toolbox looks like the generic stuff you see > NOpe, can't say I do, I quit buying that china made crap years ago.

Reply to
Machineman

Check Costco before you buy harbor freight on one of these. I believe that they have a pretty good set for not much more money than this. Costco execs have said that their maximum mark-up is about 15% so you may get more bang for the buck there.

Koz

Wayne wrote:

Reply to
Koz

i was at a local Harbor Freight retail store about three weeks ago.. they had one of the cabinets in front of the store.. i was not in the market for one so did not pay attention.. but did open and clost the drawerw.. it seemed pretty smooth and i was impressed.. Harbor freight is known for their junk... eventhough it is not a know brand(by me) it seemed to work pretty good and is probably work the money for the cabinet... i got one of those craftsman cabinets(roller type) with the tool box on top... it is much bigger than mine and i paid about $350 for them both about 25 yrs. ago.... from what i remember the HF cabinet is a little thicker metal than the one i have.. and no the HF one is not very thin stuff like those $25 boxed you see that look like a mini version of a tool cart on wheels...

Reply to
jim

Hey Wayne,

HF had these on "special" a month or so ago (around Xmas maybe??), and I went over to Detroit to see about one. I guess maybe I expected too much, and so I was pretty disappointed in the product all round. Light gauge, sharp corners everywhere, "bumpy" drawer slides.

My advice is to be sure you get a first hand look at one before buying. I did, and decided against it.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

ps... somebody else nixed the flat files as be>

Brian Lawson

While most of my shop is of the old USA tools I have been looking for a tool box and finding a fair price in my book is hard. The guy down the road had a Snap-on box about the same size that was beat up and he wanted $2500. The fact that its 400 pounds means its got some metal to it. I have a few of those free shipping codes so freight shouldn't be an issue. As to using old file cabinets the draws just don't work good for what I want. I will check out Costco.

Reply to
Wayne

I looked at one at HF the other day. Looked pretty lightly built to me. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

One of the welding courses I took (after the first one, it was pretty much just to use their tools) a guy built his own box. Basically made it like you would a wood cabinet. Welded the metal into a 4 sided box, then welded cross pieces on the front and bought some metal drawers with glides. Of course you could make those too. After the guides were welded to the sides, he welded the back on. Got a lot of practice on vertical corner welding. He pretty much just hit it with a flapper wheel and you couldn't tell it was welded. He also had some front doors to secure the drawers and some sort of odd locking doohickey. Had to use the hoist to get it in his truck, but you wouldn't have to go that thick.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

if you absolutely insist on buying chinese CRAP, go look at the 48" wide stainless steel ball tower with ball bearing slides being sold at Sam's Club for under $700

Reply to
Jon Grimm

Do you own one? If not, how do you know it's crap? Almost 400 pounds isn't light.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Based on the specs in the ad, I'd pass and keep looking. If you noticed the weight capacity, it's very small for the total size of the unit. A total of 475 pounds capacity is very small. My small top box consistantly ends up with 4-500 pounds of tools in it without really trying. The better cabinets will carry individual drawer ratings of

100-250+ pounds capacity each and the main cabinet will reflect that rating.

Been there...done that with the cheaper crap and won't ever do it again....

Craig C. snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
Craig

I will keep looking not sure how fast I would hit 475 pounds of stuff. Others have suggested and found fair prices on other solutions but I haven't found any yet. Most of my shop has been outfitted with good tools at a very fair price, but the tool boxes are just hard to fine.Up here in Connecticut we have shops selling off all the time but the tool boxes still get top dollar.

Reply to
Wayne

I bet this would clean up nicely:

US$300 and some paint would match these two:

?ViewItem&category=3299&item=3809634269&rd=1

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I bought one of these to replace an old Craftsman and have been very pleased with it. Lots of room, plenty of drawers that roll smoothly - even the one that is stuffed with chisels and punches. No doubt there are nicer and better built boxes available but this one is fine for the money in my opinion.

Reply to
Tom

But it looks like the drawers have (thin) wooden bottoms, 4'-9 x 2'-9. That's not going to hold much weight. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Geez, only 475lbs capacity for the whole unit? I know mold makers that have close to that in a single drawer on their Snap-on roll aways.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson