Which one of these HF auto-darkening helmets it best?

My parents are giving me one of the inexpensive Harbour Freight auto-darkening helmets as a birthday gift. I know that a number of you have used these, seemingly with satisfactory results. The question is, which one of the several that they have for around $49 is best? Which one(s) have you used? Have you found one better than another?

There seem to be three main variations:

The first of these looks the most interesting based on the stated features -- it appears to have the fastest response time, plus a high/low sensitivity control. But ... is it really the best of these? I'm particularly interested in hearing from someone who has used more than one of these, and can give a "head to head" comparison.

Many thanks!

Andy

Reply to
Andrew H. Wakefield

I've only used the 46092 and I've been very happy with it. The 3rd one you listed, 47996, looks just like the one that Homier sells. They do a travelling truckload tool sale and they were in my area last week. They were selling those for $29.99 so I don't think I would go with that one for the $59.99 that HF wants.

I'm guessing that the 91212 is the same lens as the 46092 in a different helmet but it's just a guess since they don't have the specs for the 46092 listed on the site.

One interesting thing to note... When I first bought mine I noticed that there were areas that looked dark and splotchy in the lens. I took it back to the store and compared it with another and found that it did the same thing so I took mine back home and tried it. It worked great and I didn't notice the dark areas while welding. I recently purchased a Huntsman autodark lens to put in an older helmet. It's either made by Jackson or used by Jackson in their helmets and I noticed dark areas in it too but in playing around with it I found that the dark area depends on the angle that you look through it. You can move the lens around in front of your face and the dark area will move too so I assume it has something to do with the arrangement of the crystals.

The strangest thing about the 46092 though is that if you tap on the side of it it darkens. Neither the Huntsman nor a Cigweld lens I have does that. :-/

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

"Andrew H. Wakefield" wrote in news:ck933m$hem$ snipped-for-privacy@news.chatlink.com:

I use the 46902 variant. Good helmet and light in weight. Just make sure if your going to do TIG someday to get the helmet rated for TIG. They have the delay on turn-off function that saves you a bright flare of a white hot tungsten. HF has a habit of using near identical boxes for the different helmets.

Regards

Jim Vrzal Holiday,Fl.

Reply to
Mawdeeb