HF auto darkening hoods, which one?

Harborfreight has two auto darken hoods in the $60 range that I am considering.

One is made by Western Safety

the other by Chicago Electric.
I do not weld for a living. I am leaning towards the Western Safety.

Which of us out there in the hobby line have either one of these two hoods and what do you think of it? Buying a $200 plus auto darkening helmet is completely out of the question, sorry. I would be ordering this online, the local store is a bit too far for me to go.

Thank you for your time, Thor

Reply to
Thor

darkening

Get the NexGen EQC. You may end up with one eventually anyway. Buying cheapo hoods is a gamble, and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. If you lose, you have nothing and still have to go buy another helmet. Try to get some cash jobs and save your money. A good helmet, no matter the style or brand is worth it. I think I could cheap out on everything else, and not notice any difference. A hood is where the rubber hits the road.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

very pleased with the solar powered (no batteries), adjustable HarborFreight helmet i got on sale for $59. functions fine; have had it for more than a year; in fact, the more i use it, the "better" it seems to work...

Reply to
dogalone

I have two of the Western Safety helmets. Both have performed well. Just make sure if you do any TIG welding, get the TIG rated helmet. It provides an extra delay on the turn off so a bright tig torch doesn't flash you. Also, I think the Western lens has a slighlty larger viewing area.

My 2 cents

Jim Vrzal

Thor wrote:

Reply to
Mawdeeb

I would also vote for the Western unit. Bought one when my Lincoln went off the deep end. Bought it on a whim (on sale) and had a lot of concern. The $200 dollar unit gave me grieve and this unit works great.

darkening

Reply to
Merle Wagner

I have the western and it works good, saving for a better one though, cant get another set of eyes. walt

darkening

Reply to
wallsterr

the WS helmets are rather slow to darken (1/10000 sec) vs. others which go faster, more like 1/20000 sec.

if you do lots of on/off welds with TIG, the faster glass helps on your eyes !!

darkening

Reply to
Kryptoknight

the ANSI approved WesternSafety was advertised as 1/25,000 response time (which is why i got); it seems to work well, and i'm wondering (Krypto) if you've read a technical review/comparison that supports the 1/10,000 sec figure.

Reply to
dogalone

I just checked Harbor Freight a couple of days ago and I *THOUGHT* the two WS autodarkening shields (normally $85 & $120) stated 1/20,000 and

1/25,000 respectively.

Seems the higher cost one was on sale for $60 and the other was not, but he was willing to mark it at $50. The basic difference I could see was the box. The cheaper one had a warning on it about UV and IR exposure and didn't mention TIG (?) use. The other (? newer) more expensive one did not mention the warning and was ARC, MIG & TIG approved.

**** Not sure what all this means! **** but I figured the higher ($60) one might give someone a bit more peace of mind. :-)

OH : I'm no welder. Burned a few rods years ago. Thinking about starting again on a hobby level.

Check out HF numbers 47277-5VGA at:

and 55199-0VGA at:

Al

========================

Kryptoknight wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

This one is supposedly new.

This one is remanufactured,err.

I just got off the phone with Western Saftey and they immidiently said they do not make the helmet. The guy says it is from china. I also just called HF and inquired about who makes the helmet and was told under the manufacturer name it says "none". It was suggested that the helmet probably comes from Asia. I did order the 47277 helmet and it is on its was via parcel post. When I get he helmet I will report back who makes it, if it says who.

Like I said, I don't do TIG or MIG, or welding for a living . I just do arc with a little buzzbox. The main reason I even ventured into this helmet is because I will be repairing the bed of my truck when the weather gets better and I don't want to deal with my current helmet, that is what I am saying any ways.

Thor

Reply to
Thor

i think my glass is 1/10000sec, it's a WS helmet (i did not get it from HF)

harbor freight don't sell the best stuff, and i would not say 100% that if i ordered from there a helmet that said 1/25000sec in the ad that i would trust i got a 1/25000sec helmet.

i paid $80 for my WS helmet. i don't trust it completely, i wish to add another UV/IR filter to the inside of the helmet. my eyes bug me after lots of small TIG welds. i try not to look directly at the arc as it starts.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

i hear you there: gotta wonder sometimes about that myself as i don't have the means by which to tell the difference. would figure that somewhere a lab (consumer reports? or the like) may have done a comparison... the only time mine acts up is after dark (no background light), which seems to cut the reaction time down considerably (am thinking that phenomena can be trimmed out by decreasing the sensitivity); but usually by that time i've had enough anyway and it's time to clean up for dinner...

Reply to
dogalone

I like my Western Safety (HF ) solar powered one withvariable shade . Around $60 and works a treat. Got one for my father in law, and a spare for the farm workshop and a gun stainless worker bought the last one from me. Wouldn't be without it. G

Reply to
Geoff M

yep, and "ditto"; though it seems they are on sale for even less this week!!

Reply to
dogalone