Auto-darkening helmet

I've seen guys take a piece of heavy cotton and secure it over the top of the helmet, down around the two plastic tensioning nuts on the sides. The cloth hangs down over the back of your head and besides keeping the light out it also keeps sparks off your head.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I picked up a cheap helmet at Princess Auto.Never having had a auto-darkening,I like the way it funtions.But I was wondering if anyone uses the inside lense cover.Becuase I am getting reflections even with a cover to stop light from coming in the back of the helmet.

Reply to
MK1

I probably have the same helmet. I took out the front plastic and replaced it with a piece of glass. I also removed the inside plastic. This reduced multiple reflections and light scattering that plastic windows acquire.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

"Boris Mohar" wrote: (clip) I also removed the inside plastic. This reduced multiple reflections and light scattering that plastic windows acquire. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You are ahead right now, but two things will happen: 1.) The filter, which is now exposed, will need cleaning. 2.) The filter will get scratches on it, from handling, and from cleaning. I say it's better to live with the slight extra reflection from that protective surface, in order to avoid 1.) and 2.) above.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Thanks Boris I will give the glass a try. Boris Mohar wrote

Reply to
MK1

Not to mention sweat will drip off the tip of your nose and splatter all over the lens inside the mask

Gunner

Gunner

Isn't that the truth! What I find happens is that the skullcap I wear when welding (to protect what few hairs I still have) soaks up the sweat nicely and keeps it out of my eyes ... for a while. Then all of a sudden it is super-saturated and it lets go a great blob of sweat all over the inside of the lens. I keep wondering when the electronics are going to fry as a result ...

Andy

Reply to
Andrew H. Wakefield

I change my dew-rag regularly. Its not a lot of fun welding when ambient temperatures here in the desert are 110F, in the shade.

The good part is that a dew rag will dry out in 20 minutes or less..but after a couple cycles.there is so much salt in them that they can break like a stick. So I hose em off, before hanging them on the wire

Gunner

Gunner

Reply to
Robert Ball

Gunner,

I think you are showing you country-fied roots. Anyone that grew up in the city knows it's a "do" rag (as in hair do), not "dew" rag. I never used one, but know plenty of folks that did and I can guarantee you that not one of them could ever be thought of as "dew laden".

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

An unprotected glass thens has a good chance of shattering if it comes into contact with sparks from welding, also shortens the life of the glass. As the spatter sticks too glass better than plastic.

Your best bet would be to have plastic on both sides of your shaded lense; nothing gets your attention quite as fast as having a glass lense break when your welding overhead. Did it once and was glad I was wearing glasses at the time.

John Noon

Reply to
John Noon

My understanding was it is the last barrier to prevent an explosive derb heading for your eyes. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

You just now finding out that Im country? Chuckle...and here in the "earl patch"....it is indeed "dew rag"

Gunner

Gunner Asch

"Gunner Asch" wrote:(clip)...and here in the "earl patch"....it is indeed "dew rag" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ As long as it's not a "do-do rag."

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I just bought the same helmet from the langley PAL store and I get strange reflections as well. Also I have noticed that there are darker/lighter shades within the viewing area. I can't complain too much since the helmet was only $68.99 CAN.

I'm not sure if one can easily get the "Glass" cover lenses that fit properly as I visited my local welding supply store and they didn't stock the right size glass cover lenses. However one could get the large size cover lense and with a glass cutter you could just cut it down!

I took my helmet to work and was not really all that happy with it in a industrial setting, but for the work I do at home or for the home hobbist I think the helmet will work just fine for the price.

Gary- Onsitewelding

Gary

Sorry, I missed original post.

Please THINK TWICE (or three times) before removing any clear plastic protector or cover from the light path. Plastic is an excellent absorber of UV. Glass is not (at least at longer UV wavelengths). Having only a glass filter between you and the arc will likely let excessive UV through and ruin your eyesignt permanently. Among other things, the UV will cause premature cataracts.

Be very careful.

Glenn Glenn Pure Canberra, Australia Web page:

Glenn Pure