Auto-darkeing helmet problem

I use an auto-darkening helmet (I think its a Lincoln) with a green lense and twice today instead of darkening it didn't seam to do anything and the arc looked extremely bright through my lense and I had to take the helmet off and step back for a second until my eyes cleared up. Is that a sign that the batteries are dying or that the helmet is malfunctioning? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
xyz789

Batteries could be low. The sensors might have gotten blocked. It could be faulty.

No matter what happens the worst you will get is a bright light in your eyes. The lens has to protect you agains any harmful rays even if it doesn't trigger. That is US Federal Law if they want to keep their ANSI rating.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

xyz 789 wrote: (clip) twice today instead of darkening it didn't seam to do anything and the arc looked extremely bright through my lens (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ There may be nothing wrong. This has happened to me on rare occasions when some part of the work was casting a shadow on the sensor, so it didn't see the arc. If it happens more than rarely, though, then go by what Ernie said.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Reply to
Walter Babb

make sure there is no built-up "smoke" residue on the area of the sensor

Reply to
dogalone

Mine too. First it wouldn't darken, then it stayed dark... which was at least usable, then it lightened again, then darkened... randomly. I had to stop using it and go back to a standard lens.

Being cold out, as a test I put it in front of a heater for a while... it worked fine for a bit after that. My guess is that the solar panels on it must charge up a tiny internal battery but the cold was just too much for it. I'll try my theory out when it gets warm, someday.

Next time I'll spend the money and get a better lens with replaceable batteries. It really sucks going back to a dark lens after getting used to being able to see :(

David...

Reply to
FixerDave

I've had an Optrel "solar powered" for more than 4 years. I happen to know there is a battery in it and for about the last 6 months I've had to set it in the sun to charge or set under a bright light for a minute or two before I start welding. If I forget, usually I'm reminded to do it by the flash in my eyes. Another quirk of these things is many won't trigger well with low current welding like with TIG or the gun gets in the way of the triggering light. Clean your face plate and make sure your in the glare of the arc and it should work.

Reply to
Zorro