tig brazing

I tried my hand at tig brazing and I have one quick question, should there be all sorts of crap all over the metal when I'm done? I tried it on two pieced of .035" 4130 tube running 20 amps with 1/16 silicon bronze filler, I was able to get a nice bead going but it was a lot gnarlier process than I expected. there was a spider webby kinda white stuff all over the place and a lot of splatter when I would add filler. The tubes are joined and the weld looks like a TIG weld so I'm guessing I did it right but wanted to double check I didn't leave something out.

dave

Reply to
dave

Wrong filler rod. You were using gas brazing rod AKA Low Fuming Bronze.

Silicon Bronze has no Zinc in it.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

You got the very same result as I, in my first try too. As Ernie wrote Silicon Bronze is the right stuff. Get some and you'll have a completely different--positive--experience. Ciao, David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman