TIG Brazing

I've read everything written here about TIG brazing, and figured it would be a piece of cake with my TIG and torch puddle brazing experience. I finally got around to trying, and am having great difficulty getting the filler to wet out without overheating it. I am using bare Eutectic 16 (3/32) and Harris Safety-Silv 45 (1/32) on clean

16 GA.1020 steel with DCEN at 35 amps and 20scfh Ar. I'm looking for some hints on what I'm missing. John
Reply to
John Caffrey

Do NOT use flux with a TIG, it is counter productive. All you need is bare silicon bronze or sil-phos bronze filler rod and

1/2 the amps you wpould use for welding.

Treat the joint just like a TIG weld. Keep the tungsten in close and apply the filler just like a steel weld.

Do not try to use the TIG arc like an oxy-acet torch.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
John Caffrey

Wrong filler rod. What you have there is Low Fuming Bronze made for Gas brazing. Silicon bronze has no zinc in it, Low-Fuming bronze does.

Get Silicon bronze or sil-phos bronze filler.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
John Caffrey