TIG brazing technique

Ernie,

Should the motion be a "push" or "pull" when trying to TIG braze?

It is a push when TIG welding, but I have been taught, and always done, brazing as a pull operation with an O/A torch. Tried a push, and it didn't work very well. It would just sort of glob on, and I kept contaminating my tungsten. Doing it as a pull seemed to work pretty well, but I still had a little trouble with the filler melting and blobing onto the work. I think my filler might be too small so it melts way to easily(1/16) running at 25 amps for 0.040 fillet welds.

Chuckle at the newbie: My first couple attempts were absolutely horrible. All I could get was big blobs of crusty black stuff that wouldn't stick to anything. Then it dawned on me, forgot to crack the valve on the tank. Oops. :)

JW

Reply to
Jeridiah

Here's a movie that shows TIG welding technique:

Larry

Reply to
Larry

I soaked an old pair of contacts in dark green Rit Dye. Then rubbed SPF 70 sun screen on them, and my face. I was able to mig with out my hood for over an hour! AND NO itchy eyes in the morning!

Cool!!

Les

Reply to
PIW

I did the same thing once, but the gas cup on the torch also shattered. Probably won't do it again!

Reply to
Jon Ward

Surely you are kidding my friend! You would do this with your own eyes ?? What of the UV sunburn, you trust that SPF 70 ? Man, thats gutsy stuff to do. Also, how will you protect the "whites" of your eyes from the UV ? - do the contacts cover then too ?

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

I would not put RIT in my eye. Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

that is amongst the most irresponsible, malicious, and dangerous posts ive ever read in any newsgroup since i started reading newsgroups in '95. any seasoned welder reading it knows youre full of shit. in fact, anyone with any decent level of common sense should know as well. if you were saying this to these types of people only maybe i could laugh along with you. sadly there _are_ people reading this who wont know any better and just might actually try it for themselves. now i highly doubt you can dye a contact lense with fabric dye anyway, but i still feel your post was in poor taste, and thats putting it nicely.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I have tried to describe this in the past, I will try again.

TIG Braze-welding uses the exact same motion at TIG WELDING. You are not flowing the bronze into the seam with a washing technique, you are laying in a weld bead using bronze.

So act just as if you are TIG welding, but use half the amps.

This will only work with Silicon bronze, Nickle bronze or Manganese bronze filler.

Low fuming bronze gas brazing rod will not work. Sil-phos can work, but it tends to flow too much.

No flux is used for this.

It is performed in a forehand "pushed" direction.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie

I haven't tried brazing yet, but I have been wondering, do you use DC? Or AC for a bit of cleaning action?

Pete

Reply to
Peter Snell

OMG!!

Do you folks not know a joke? I thought it was damn funny.

Reply to
news junky

OK. Hopefully, I will get a chance to try again tonight. Been awful busy lately. I spend more time dreaming about my TIG welder than actually using it. :(

JW

Reply to
Jeridiah

You boys need to lighten up. It was just a joke. Hell, I never wear gloves even when picking up hot iron and when I buzz box weld, I just hold the rod in my hand and connect the wire to my balls.

Reply to
JoeMorgan

DCEN for arc control. Cleaning action is not needed here.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

sure, but there are many who just dont know any better and they turn to these newsgroups for solid advice. whats funny to someone that knows better could be very dangerous to those who dont. if youre going to joke in a manner that could be dangerous, at least follow up with some sort of disclaimer such as a " ;-) " a "j/k" or _something_.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Furthermore, it wasn't remotely funny, nor was your ("news junky") "contribution". This group is not:

alt.lame.bs.that.belongs.on.some.overacted.discovery.channel.show

Perhaps you and the OP should try posting there.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

my response was not intended to be funny.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I understand wanting to protect those without a working knowledge.......

However, having never touched any type of welding equipment until 3 months ago, I can attest to the "newbie" ability to discern a far fetched joke.

In my opinion it fits under Darwinism. If you are dumb enough to kill yourself in an idiotic manner..... Then we have one less person wasting oxygen. (I for one do NOT need a large notice on my lawn mower telling me not to put my hand into the moving blade!)

Sorry if I have offended anyone.......

Reply to
news junky

Warning labels are interfering with evolution. If you are dumb enough to drive with a sunshade in the windshield, or use a toaster in the bathtub, go for it.

Reply to
Paul Calman

I'm glad most folks saw this for what it was, An atempt to blind stupid bastards that pull out in front of us! Then they can be blind and stupid.

I hope to offer more tips on how to wound your person.

Les

Reply to
PIW

fwiw i hope youre right!

while i fully agree with natural selection, my biggest concern was for the

12 year old who wants to learn to weld and isnt supervised as well as he should be. no apologies are necessary brother, certainly not where im concerned anyway.
Reply to
Nathan W. Collier