TIG brazing question

I want to try some brazing with my TIG torch when the appropriate filler rods arrive in a few days. I've read some of Ernie's great posts from last year (copied below.)

One question remains in my mind. How do I begin the process? In TIG welding I melt some of the base metal and then dip the filler into that puddle. When starting to braze, do I begin by melting the filler directly with the arc, or heat the metal a bit and then try to melt filler with that heat, or ??

Thanks for any further advice.

--parts of Ernie's posts-->

TIG Braze-welding uses the exact same motion as TIG WELDING. You are not flowing the bronze into the seam with a washing technique, you are laying in a weld bead using bronze.

So act just as if you are TIG welding, but use half the amps.

This will only work with Silicon bronze, Nickle bronze or Manganese bronze filler.

Low fuming bronze gas brazing rod will not work. Sil-phos can work, but it tends to flow too much.

No flux is used for this.

It is performed in a forehand "pushed" direction.

DCEN for arc control. Cleaning action is not needed here.

Reply to
xray

In TIG Braze-welding, the base metal is never melted at all. You start by melting the end of the filler rod into a ball and depositing that ball into the joint. Then heat the ball directly until it flows out to both sides

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie,

Can this work with silver brazing (aka silver soldering) as well?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Great! That's what I figured, but good to get the confirmation. Thanks.

Reply to
xray

I tried it with silver solder once, but had bad results. It seems the silver was alloyed with something that disagreed with the

16,000 DegF arc temp. I have heard it works with pure silver, gold and platinum.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler