Tig torch conversion?

Have an inverter TIG which comes with a rather bulky air cooled torch, which is fitted with trigger switches to access program features. It would be a lot more useful to me to be able to fit a watercooled torch, but still be able to use the trigger torch should the need arise.

Obviously I am going to need to fit a plug on the front of the machine to accept the Binzel watercooled torch I have got hold of. I wonder has anyone converted an inverter to watercooled torch as I have outlined, and if so would be very glad of any useful advice on the subject. My machine is a Eutectic 2002, and the aircooled torch, has a separate plug, which when disconnected disables the torch trigger switches.

TIA

Chris

Reply to
chris

Simple enough to just add switches to a standard TIG torch handle, but in Europe many torches are available with trigger buttons. Binzel probably makes an optional handle tube for your torch with the trigger buttons built in.

I added a trigger button to the torch I use on my Inverter. I just bought a replacement trigger switch as used in many plasma cutter handles.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

it is probably simpler to just make an adapter cable. All it takes is the right plugs and an ohmmeter to figure out where the switches are connected on the two torches.

Reply to
jerry_tig2003

Thnx for tht Ernie............the torch i have does have a simple on /off switch already, but i am not overly concerned about the switching arrangements, as I would like my watercooled torch to be as light and compact as possible, with foot pedal only control.

Just wondered about changing the socket on the front of the machine to accept watercooled torch, and whether anyone had any bright ideas, regarding how i might retain trigger torch functions if needed (not really enough room for a separate socket for each torch).

thnx

chris

Reply to
chris

Here's a link to a diagram Ernie posted a while back. It helped me out:

Good luck.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Thnx John ............just what I was looking for, very helpful! Everyone have a good xmas a prosperous new year!

chris

Reply to
chris

In message , chris writes

Hi Chris,We have converted a number of 200 amp Inverters to watercooled Torches but it needs some modification to the machine.With a gas cooled torch the argon goes through a solenoid valve and is fed to the centre of the current connector and travels through the centre of a Bicox assembly to the torch head.With a watercooled torch the passage down the centre of the torch carries the returning water going to the watercooler.Without that internal cooling water the torch would soon burn out.We have to fit a separate argon outlet on the front of the machine and use the original power/gas connector to take the water return back to the watercooler.The water in pipe on the torch is fitted direct to the water supply from the cooler. Should you have a 2 piece gascooled torch ie.separate gas hose & power cable connected to a Dix type power connector,then it should be possible to make the connections to water & gas outside the set but you would not have the facility of a gas solenoid valve. Hope this helps,but the description make more sense with the machine in front of you.It also depends on the free space inside the Inverter.

Reply to
Gwyn Phillips

Thnx for that Gwyn...........it looks as though I will be able to sort something out along similiar lines to what you have described. I should be able to dismantle the watercooled torch I have, and fit connector block from original gas cooled torch, connected to argon feed and power, of watercooled, and then connect water feed and return lines, by using quickfit couplings, to return and feed of watercooler unit.

Basically a mix and match sort of conversion, but which will leave front of machine totally stock, meaning it would be very easy to reconnect gas cooled torch, should I wish to use program features, controlled by torch trigger switches. Anyway many thnx for everyones help on this posting, and hoping you all have a good Xmas and a prosperous new year!

Chris

Reply to
chris