Tig torch question

I am looking to buy a tig torch for my 200A tig welder. I can buy a air cooled 150 A tig torch like ebay item 7547092579 (WT-17V-25R TIG WELDING TORCH & PARTS), or buy a water cooled torch, water cooler etc.

My tig welder does have some connectors for incoming and outgoing water. I suppose that I am supposed to plug my water cooler "in line" with these connectors.

Comparing them:

150 A: air cooled torch, low cost, but less capacity (amps) than my welder produces.

200A water cooled torches: more capacity, higher cost, need to buy a water cooler. Big bucks.

So, my question is, as a amateur welder, would I be limiting myself with 150A so much that a 150 A torch is much worse than a 200A water cooled? It seems unlikely, but I wanted to check.

Ignoramus26924

A water cooled torch is lot smaller and will be much more comfortable to use.

Reply to
joebass

Sorry. What was the question?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I would buy the water cooled torch. Usually they are smaller and easier to handle than air cooled, Plus you have a machine that can handle it so why not use it. As for the water cooler, Build one. Cheaper and more fun.

Reply to
Steve W.

I have a nice miller diamond back water-cooled 250 amp torch for sale , brand new in the box

Reply to
williamhenry

Or if your welder has a solenoid valve for coolant, you can just use a filter and hook into your domestic water. Use the water that exits for the house plants. Water cooled torches don't use a lot of water.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Yes, it does.

My welder indeed has water connections. If I can just use house water, I will be in heavens. Thanks!

Ignoramus26924

Get a WP-20 or 20 size tig torch. Water cooled. You will eventually start welding aluminum..and water cooled will be best IMHO

They are common on Ebay. All three of my operating tigs use a 20, and Ive got a big 500 amp WP-18 tucked away, for Someday.

Gunner "Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire. Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us) off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give them self determination under "play nice" rules.

Gunner

I have been using city water for my TIG for 13 years.

I do recommend setting up a inline water filter to prevent sediment buildup in the torch and hoses. I used one for use on a kitchen sink. It uses replaceable cartridges. After 13 years I have only had to replace the cartridge once.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Got it Ernie. Will do as you say. Thanks.

Ignoramus19652

how much , and where are you located? how long is the torch cable ?

Reply to
acrobat ants

Here's some information on setting up your water cooled torch:

and -

--Jenn

Reply to
JeSais

Thanks, looks simple. Do I really need a pressure regulator between city water supply and my welder?

Here's the torch that I bought:

Ignoramus19652

No, that would be ideal... but a lot of folks just "wing it"

Good luck, and Have Fun!

--Jenn

Reply to
JeSais

they are nice folks to deal with , a while back I purchsed a watercooled torch from them and suppriszingly they included an extra gaslens and 2 cups, not sure why ??? how ever the gaslens had 1/16 stamped on it and it is 3/32, may those are the freebies (stamped wrong). I did not complain, and thank them.

Reply to
acrobat ants