tig torch/tig welder

I'm planing to by a tig welder soon, and have been looking at the Miller dynasty 200dx. It doesn't come with any cables, torches or foot pedal. They do have a contractors kit that has all those, but the tig torch that comes in the kit isn't listed on their web site.

I can buy all the parts separate, but I'm not sure what kind of torch to get. What should I look for in a tig torch? I think I can get by for now with an air cooled one, as I will be using it for thinner things at first.

How are tig torches connected up to the power supply? Is there a separate gas hose, or is it all built into the connector?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Reply to
dan

The Dynasty 200DX is a 200 amp machine. I recommend getting 2 torches eventually, but which one you get first depends on what you are welding.

A CK130 Flex-head, is an excellent torch for welding thin sheet, and up to 1/8" metal. It is small and compact, and the flex-head allows more versatility in positioning. However, it maxes out around 130 amps, so for heavy material you will need a larger torch like the CK210 Flexhead.

For my Maxstar 200DX rig I have a CK100 Flex, and a CK210 Flex. Both are excellent torches. I also have a CK80 for really tiny stuff, and a CK110 for lots of tube fillet welds. Make sure to order the super flex cables, they make a huge difference.

Foot pedals are a pain. They should not cost as much as Miller wants to charge, but aftermarket foot pedals are just as expensive. You can make one from a sewing machine pedal, or a guitar amp pedal, but it is a bit complicated. For a flow gauge, go for Smith ball and tube models. They are the best.

Ernie Leimkuhler

What's that Lassie? You say that Ernie Leimkuhler fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sun, 06 Sep 2009 01:40:58 -0700:

Thanks for that advice. I was thinking of two torches myself. How far do the flex heads flex?

For heavy steel, I'll stick weld. But for aluminum I might need max current with the tig torch. Are the torch ratings at 100% duty cycle? Could I use a 150A torch at 200A for a little while?

Yah, that's what I think too. Just a box, switch, and a potentiometer.

Reply to
dan

I really like the pushbutton decays- I think CK makes them too. What I'm familiar with has two buttons (over & under)- top one for start and ramp up, bottom for ramp down and off. I really got a kick out of a contract weldor trying to weld pipe with a footpedal taped to one leg, pressing it with the other, while trying to balance on a ladder....

Reply to
TinLizziedl

Yes, you can push a torch past its duty cycle, but be aware that you will wind up with a hot hand, and your torch's lifespan may be decreased, depending on how hot you got it.

I've run our little "air-cooled" (cooled by argon flow, not water jacket) torches at 200 amps for most of a shift before, and aside from using a lot of gas (post flow) to cool the tungsten and a second glove over my torch hand, they held up pretty good. Consumables are readily available for us, though, so we didn't think about it as we swapped out our collets, gas lenses, and cups, usually once a month or so.

If you're not pushing it to extremes like that, a tig torch like Ernie's will last a long time. Just get some spare collets- the copper ones get twisted and worthless much quicker than brass.

Reply to
TinLizziedl

About 90 degrees. They really are amazing.

You would melt the cable.

You will need a 1Kohm potentiometer, a toggle or push-button switch that stays on, and a Amphenol connector.

Miller TIG machines all use the 14-pin

Here is a post I made a while back on Amphenol connectors

There are also several how-to's on the net for making a foot pedal.

Of course you could just buy a used one

You could just swap out the potentiometer and add your connector.

This guy did exactly that

I think there are also a few TIG foot pedal designs in the Metalworking.com Dropbox

Ernie Leimkuhler

What's that Lassie? You say that Ernie Leimkuhler fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 07 Sep 2009 13:10:21 -0700:

Thanks for the info on the connectors. I did run across a site selling connectors and extensions for miller foot controls, so I could fab one up.

I still need to pick a torch. There are so many, I can't seem to decide which would suit my needs. I like some of the flex head and mini torches I've seen.

I'm not sure if I should by the welder and shop around for torches and stuff separately, or stick with the kit from miller. The contractors kit comes with the foot control and a 200A air cooled torch. That should get me started. I'm still looking for the best price. I still have to save up a little while longer, so I have plenty of time to decide.

And I really liked that tank and welder cart. Especially the protective plate for the welder.

Reply to
dan

Arczone is OK. I tried their extra wide gas lens thing, but it doesn't work very well.

Check the eBay dealers. Many of them can undercut local dealers including shipping. The local dealers don't really care because they make no money selling machines, just the consumables.

I did that because I have Western Quick Disconnects on both sides of the machine, and they need to be protected from side hits. It is just 1/8" aluminum, with 1/2" foam on each side.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler