Syncrowave 250DX vs Dynasty 200DX

I may be ordering a new TIG welder tomorrow. Tonight I had the problem with welding the Featherlite aluminum trailer, the closest I could get the trailer and the closest I could get my welder (couldn't get the forklift started, no time to play forklift mechanic too) was barely enough to reach what needed welded. The foot pedal has shorter cables than the ground or torch so I had to have my son stand on the pedal so I could try to weld the trailer. This didn't work too well, one end of the torch was hitting the tire while trying to position and weld.

Anyway... this would have been a perfect opportunity for an easier to move welder. I'm considering ordering a syncrowave 250DX welder only tomorrow, I already have all the other parts on my old Miller and a full TIG runner isn't in my budget. But, for less than $100 more than the syncrowave 250DX I could get a Dynasty 200DX. I have no plans of using a syncrowave 250DX to its full power, most of my welding is in less than 100A but I would like to be able to weld 1/4". Syncrowave has a few more amps, Dynasty is more portable, is the Dynasty less than the Syncrowave in any other way? I could get a Dynasty now and a used Syncrowave 250 if I need to do heavier work later on. Just thought I could get a used Syncrowave cheaper than a used Dynasty 200DX.

Syncrowave or Dynasty, that is the question! :-)

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Anyone wants a minty Millermatic 251 with everything?

Ignoramus2412

Yes, but how much? Does it have a spool gun?

Ok, I probably can't afford if I'm going to spend close to $3k on a TIG.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

1200 for you, no spool gun, but a great gun, a lot of consumable torch parts, spool of wire, and tank. I will definitely ask (and get more) elsewhere. It will not fit intot he garage after I clean up one half of it for my wife's car. i
Reply to
Ignoramus2412

I don't have an opinion on the syncrowave. For that matter, I'm not much of a welder. But I sure like my Dynasty 200DX. My middle son learned to stick weld with it, and built a receiver hitch deer hoist in the last two days. All while plugged into a 15A 120V house circuit while awaiting the electrician to install a 30A 230V circuit for me.

I've tried the tig, very successfully on CS, never on aluminum. I have also run a readywelder from it.

He has a Millermatic 180 I bought him as a birthday present, but it needs the 230V.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

You will like the 230 in that it will weld heavier metals, and the waiting time is not very long, if you EVER hit the duty cycle. I have a SP175+, and I have never ever had it shut down because of duty cycle. You'll like the

180. First time you need to change liners, go to the .045", and it will last forever. Use the right tip, but the bigger liner never gets plugged.
Reply to
Steve B

Thats a very very very good Mig machine.....Roger.

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Now the next question..SHOULD you be spending $3k on a TIG, when you can get a TIG far cheaper?

Shrug

Checked Craigslist yet?

Where do you live?

Maybe I can help?

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Sounds like a very very good deal

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You won't run a Syncrowave 250 off a 120V house circuit, but one will run happily (with a reduce max output amperage) off a household 30A 240V clothes dryer circuit or 40A 240V stove circuit. Aluminum generally requires higher amperage than steel, so you won't get away with a badly undersized circuit on either machine if you're doing aluminum.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes, now all I need to do is find a Syncrowave 250 in Iggy's neighborhood, take a 6 hour trip and come home with a MIG and a TIG for less than the price of a new syncrowave welder only.

My HF on the old miller 330A/BP started working again and I was able to do some welds on the trailer. I think I need a lot more practice, I got it stuck together good but my welds are big and ugly, seemed impossible to get the heat where I wanted it. Also the arc was quite erratic but I'm not sure if that was me or the machine.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Are you interested in cash only or are you interested in doing any trading? I have guns and toys and tools and equipment and PLC's...

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I got a price from the local welding supplier, Dynasty 200DX $2805 + tax. I'm thinking that if I decided to sell it later, it would maybe bring a better price than the Syncrowave 250DX, maybe not. I'm still considering a Diversion 180 TIG, they have them available here for under 1600 complete package, runs on 120 or 240. I could watch for a used syncrowave 250 and buy it when I found a good deal. I'm not sure what makes the 200A welder so much more expensive than the 180A welder. It's all I have to do is buy something and a great deal on the welder I want will pop up near by.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Tigging on a trailer..outside in the breeze..even if there doesnt seem to be much of a breeze...can be quite erratic.

Hence Ive got two migs, one for steel, one for Aluminum.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Only a 6hr trip? Piece of cake, I'm going to be making the 13hr trip from TX up to Iggy's neighborhood in Sept. Where are you? If you're more-or-less on the route I could transport a machine for you.

Reply to
Pete C.

Which is the "200A welder"? The Syncrowave 250 is rated at 40% duty cycle at 250A output and will happily go up to the 310A panel control maximum still at a respectable duty cycle. The Syncrowave 250 will also go *lower* than the Diversion (not sure on the Dynasty), going all the way down to 3A output in case you want to weld chewing gum wrappers.

Reply to
Pete C.

He is kinda sorts in route Pete.

Ignoramus29207

I was referring to the Diversion 180 for $1554 versus the Dynasty 200DX for $2805. The thinnest steel for the Dynasty is .004 but the thinnest Aluminum is .020 per Miller. For the Syncrowave I think it's .012" or about that for steel or aluminum per Miller.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

---snip----

I'd buy the Dynasty 200DX in a heartbeat. We have them all over the place in the shipyard, and they are truly excellent machines. They hold up under increadible abuse in an industrial environment, and they are capable of welding virtually anything you could want.

They are a little heavy for tossing on your back and carrying around, but it can be done. Bear in mind that I'm on the scrawny side. Not being muscle-bound, I always try to look for a hand-truck or something if I've got very far to go.

I've used them for 3/32" and 1/8" stick, high and low amperage tig (200 amps on heavy foundations, 10 amps on deck-clips, and my decay is usually set for 5 amps). Pulses too, for tricky welds on really thin stuff.

The Dynasty 200DX has AC and waveform controls for excellent aluminum welding, too.

Reply to
TinLizziedl

I'm in Du Quoin, IL but work in Mt Vernon, IL. Mt Vernon is at an intersection of I64 and I57 to Chicago. Don't know if that's on your route or not.

Iggy might need the room for his wife's car before then, not sure how soon he wants to get it out of there. I have several items that I plan to get rid of so I should be able to come up with the money. I'm mostly interested in a TIG welder right now but I would like a nice MIG like that and maybe find a spool gun for it.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN