Syncrowave 250DX vs Dynasty 200DX

I may be ordering a new TIG welder tomorrow. Tonight I had the problem with welding the Featherlite aluminum trailer, the closest I could get the
trailer and the closest I could get my welder (couldn't get the forklift started, no time to play forklift mechanic too) was barely enough to reach what needed welded. The foot pedal has shorter cables than the ground or torch so I had to have my son stand on the pedal so I could try to weld the trailer. This didn't work too well, one end of the torch was hitting the tire while trying to position and weld.
Anyway... this would have been a perfect opportunity for an easier to move welder. I'm considering ordering a syncrowave 250DX welder only tomorrow, I already have all the other parts on my old Miller and a full TIG runner isn't in my budget. But, for less than $100 more than the syncrowave 250DX I could get a Dynasty 200DX. I have no plans of using a syncrowave 250DX to its full power, most of my welding is in less than 100A but I would like to be able to weld 1/4". Syncrowave has a few more amps, Dynasty is more portable, is the Dynasty less than the Syncrowave in any other way? I could get a Dynasty now and a used Syncrowave 250 if I need to do heavier work later on. Just thought I could get a used Syncrowave cheaper than a used Dynasty 200DX.
Syncrowave or Dynasty, that is the question! :-)
RogerN
Anyone wants a minty Millermatic 251 with everything?

Yes, but how much? Does it have a spool gun?
Ok, I probably can't afford if I'm going to spend close to $3k on a TIG.
RogerN

1200 for you, no spool gun, but a great gun, a lot of consumable torch parts, spool of wire, and tank. I will definitely ask (and get more) elsewhere. It will not fit intot he garage after I clean up one half of it for my wife's car.
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 23:17:23 -0500, Ignoramus2412

Sounds like a very very good deal
Gunner
"

Yes, now all I need to do is find a Syncrowave 250 in Iggy's neighborhood, take a 6 hour trip and come home with a MIG and a TIG for less than the price of a new syncrowave welder only.
My HF on the old miller 330A/BP started working again and I was able to do some welds on the trailer. I think I need a lot more practice, I got it stuck together good but my welds are big and ugly, seemed impossible to get the heat where I wanted it. Also the arc was quite erratic but I'm not sure if that was me or the machine.
RogerN

Tigging on a trailer..outside in the breeze..even if there doesnt seem to be much of a breeze...can be quite erratic.
Hence Ive got two migs, one for steel, one for Aluminum.
Gunner
"
RogerN wrote:

Only a 6hr trip? Piece of cake, I'm going to be making the 13hr trip from TX up to Iggy's neighborhood in Sept. Where are you? If you're more-or-less on the route I could transport a machine for you.

He is kinda sorts in route Pete.

I'm in Du Quoin, IL but work in Mt Vernon, IL. Mt Vernon is at an intersection of I64 and I57 to Chicago. Don't know if that's on your route or not.
Iggy might need the room for his wife's car before then, not sure how soon he wants to get it out of there. I have several items that I plan to get rid of so I should be able to come up with the money. I'm mostly interested in a TIG welder right now but I would like a nice MIG like that and maybe find a spool gun for it.
RogerN
RogerN wrote:

From a quick check on Mapquest, it looks like Mt. Vernon is pretty close to the route, perhaps an 80 mile, $20 detour. Perhaps Iggy can find you a Syncrowave 250 by then :)

Are you interested in cash only or are you interested in doing any trading? I have guns and toys and tools and equipment and PLC's...
RogerN

Now the next question..SHOULD you be spending $3k on a TIG, when you can get a TIG far cheaper?
Shrug
Checked Craigslist yet?
Where do you live?
Maybe I can help?
Gunner
"
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 22:32:26 -0500, Ignoramus2412
Thats a very very very good Mig machine.....Roger.

"

I don't have an opinion on the syncrowave. For that matter, I'm not much of a welder. But I sure like my Dynasty 200DX. My middle son learned to stick weld with it, and built a receiver hitch deer hoist in the last two days. All while plugged into a 15A 120V house circuit while awaiting the electrician to install a 30A 230V circuit for me.
I've tried the tig, very successfully on CS, never on aluminum. I have also run a readywelder from it.
He has a Millermatic 180 I bought him as a birthday present, but it needs the 230V.
Pete Keillor

You will like the 230 in that it will weld heavier metals, and the waiting time is not very long, if you EVER hit the duty cycle. I have a SP175+, and I have never ever had it shut down because of duty cycle. You'll like the 180. First time you need to change liners, go to the .045", and it will last forever. Use the right tip, but the bigger liner never gets plugged.
Pete Keillor wrote:

You won't run a Syncrowave 250 off a 120V house circuit, but one will run happily (with a reduce max output amperage) off a household 30A 240V clothes dryer circuit or 40A 240V stove circuit. Aluminum generally requires higher amperage than steel, so you won't get away with a badly undersized circuit on either machine if you're doing aluminum.
I got a price from the local welding supplier, Dynasty 200DX $2805 + tax. I'm thinking that if I decided to sell it later, it would maybe bring a better price than the Syncrowave 250DX, maybe not. I'm still considering a Diversion 180 TIG, they have them available here for under 1600 complete package, runs on 120 or 240. I could watch for a used syncrowave 250 and buy it when I found a good deal. I'm not sure what makes the 200A welder so much more expensive than the 180A welder. It's all I have to do is buy something and a great deal on the welder I want will pop up near by.
RogerN
RogerN wrote:

Which is the "200A welder"? The Syncrowave 250 is rated at 40% duty cycle at 250A output and will happily go up to the 310A panel control maximum still at a respectable duty cycle. The Syncrowave 250 will also go *lower* than the Diversion (not sure on the Dynasty), going all the way down to 3A output in case you want to weld chewing gum wrappers.

I was referring to the Diversion 180 for $1554 versus the Dynasty 200DX for $2805. The thinnest steel for the Dynasty is .004 but the thinnest Aluminum is .020 per Miller. For the Syncrowave I think it's .012" or about that for steel or aluminum per Miller.
RogerN