advise on welder

A friend has a need for a welder for various small jobs and asked about this unit,"Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 180 HD Wire Feed Welder Model # K2515-1". Any suggestions are appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Norvin Gordon

Its a decent enough machine. 230 volt..so he wont be hauling it around the house much..unless he has long power cords or 230 everywhere.

Check on Ebay and craigslist. Small MIGs can be found regularly, unless he wants new. Bout $650-700 at Home Depot. Might get a better deal at one of the local welding shops. Used, one should be able to get it for about 2/3 of that.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yes, no, absolutely, maybe, and I don't know.

It all depends. Some guys are happy with, and weld within the parameters of a 110v. machine. Others outgrow it, or want to do thicker stuff. Once you get to welding, you might want a stick or a TIG. One size does not fit all, and there is no all around perfect machine. This one is a decent machine made by a good company. The ones made for and sold by Home Depot and such are slightly less quality, and less features than those sold at welding supply houses. It all depends on how into it a person is going to get. This machine is good, but it does have the limitations of being a 220 machine, and that limits its field mobility.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Thanks for the input, my friend has decided to go with the unit.

Reply to
Norvin Gordon

He made a good choice. Reliable, easy to get parts for. But, hey, I've never had to change parts on mine. The trigger is a little wimpy, and I have a replacement idea I'm going to wire in if this one gives me any more trouble. I did get it working, and it's working for now. Touchy little contacts in there, and the whole plastic gun is not up to standards. If this one goes out, I will replace with $150 or so quality gun, and be done with it.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B