cart for new (to me) welder

I just acquired a Century Powrmate 100 mig welder and while thinking about the roll-around cart I need to make for it, I was wondering if it would work to mount the CO2 bottle in more or less of an horizontal direction instead of vertically, in the interest of lowering the center of gravity and also making its foot print a bit smaller by having it slung under the machine somehow rather than standing behind it. I realize that I need a supply of CO2 *gas* to the solenoid, but was thinking that if maybe the valve is pointing up and the bottle was slightly angled up from the horizontal that that might work - anyone happen to know, or has tried this?

Another question: it appears that wire spools are mounted horizontally and I'm not sure if I need an adapter to mount a 10 lb. spool with (it came with a rusty 2 lb. one), in order to have a straight shot to the wire-feed mechanism. I've looked all over for a manual for it but so far have only come up with a parts list/diagram.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Reply to
mike

What's that Lassie? You say that mike fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 9 Aug 2010 13:25:18 -0700 (PDT):

As you have figured, CO2 is in liquid form in the tank. If you can keep the tank outlet above the liquid you should be ok. Worst case, you may have to dump some out of a very full tank.

Save the spool from the 2lb that you've got and you can re-spool from the 10lb spool. Just use a drill and a screw driver that will fit into the spool. You can add some tape to enlarge the handle if you need to.

Reply to
dan

Mike..CO2 in the bottles is a liquid, not a gas. What happens is you are pulling CO2 off the top of the puddle.

A slight horizontal angle...probably no more than 45 degrees may be doable, depending on the level of the CO2 in the bottle..but...Id have to say that anything other than "verticle" is not going to work.

Now Argon..thats a gas.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Guess I'll just have to try it and see - I've got a full bottle to start with so should see 'worst case' initially.

That's doable, thanks for the ideas.

Mike

Reply to
mike

Ok, I'm just thinking there should be some amount of 'headroom' in even a full bottle...

I've got a full bottle so I'll be able to determine the minimum angle (if there is one) while I start putting the cart together today.

Maybe I'll dedicate my bigger mig to SS and sling a bottle under it -

Thanks for your thoughts. Mike

Reply to
mike