Anyone have a hydraulic press?

I am modifying my H frame press and am looking for a better solution for attaching and excanging dies. If anyone else out there has a press, how are your dies attached?

thanks,

Bob

Reply to
oso_bob

I have a socket built into my ram that holds a 1.5" diameter bar. All my top dies have a 1.5" spud on top that locks into this socket. My lower dies are located on pins on the base plate.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Ernie. I did consider the pins for the bottom and also considered a boxed fram to hold the botton die. The top die sounds interesting but I am not sure I understand from your description exactly how you did this. Can you elaborate a little bit?

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
oso_bob

oso snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I bought, on ebay, several surplus die sets for a punch press. I have found them to rather convenient for some types of tooling. They can be bolted to the bottom plate but it is not always neccessary because the tooling is attached to the die set. I usualy only bolt the die set to the bottom plate when using a guide for repeated opperations.

For some operations I thread a tool holder which I have made into the end of the ram. However the ram will rotate so tooling that is not round needs to be adjusted as it will move or a guide must be installed to prevent it from rotating.

I have been designing a press brake that fits into my press if you like a copy of the model I can make it available.

ttuls brad

Reply to
brad

go to the metalworking.com dropbox

and scroll down to these files

Hyd-Press_1_Main_Frame.JPG Hyd-Press_10-CAD.gif Hyd-Press_11-CAD.dxf Hyd-Press_2_Crossbar_1.JPG Hyd-Press_2_Crossbar_2.JPG Hyd-Press_2_Crossbar_3.JPG Hyd-Press_3_Beam_1.JPG Hyd-Press_3_Beam_2.JPG Hyd-Press_4_Assembled.JPG Hyd-Press_4_Upper_frame_1.JPG Hyd-Press_4_Upper_frame_2.JPG Hyd-Press_4_Upper_frame_3.JPG Hyd-Press_5_Main_ram_1.JPG Hyd-Press_5_Main_ram_2.JPG Hyd-Press_6_Greenlee_1.JPG Hyd-Press_6_Greenlee_2.JPG Hyd-Press_7_Punch_1.JPG Hyd-Press_7_Punch_2.JPG Hyd-Press_8_Brake_1.JPG Hyd-Press_8_Brake_2.JPG Hyd-Press_8_Brake_3.JPG Hyd-Press_8_Brake_4.JPG Hyd-Press_9_Bar_Bender.JPG

Any questions?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Ernie

Your press is designed differently than mine but I do like some of your stuff, like the tube bender.

Here is a link to my press picture.

I work on hot steel and need to change dies for different functions such as flattening, drawing, cutting, etc.....

I want to find a quick change method of mounting the dies. As I said before the pin method will work for the bottom but the top is my problem. I am going to extend a bar across the press and run sliders up the I-beams to prevent twisting and side movement.

Brad, I saw your post also and would like to see anything you can suggest.

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
oso_bob

I have an open sided motorized press I use for hot forging. My dies are generally solid shapes (no punches). I build them on a 4x6" piece of

1/4" plate. The plate is held in place by clamps on two edges. A stop on one edge gives me all the precision required.

I don't know if this fits your needs, but it works fine for mine.

Steve Smith