cutting a ~ 1 inch think steel pipe - use a hacksaw?

Hi all,
I have a old basketball pole, backboard etc that came with our house.
I am looking to replace the fixed height backboard with an adjustable
backboard kit for my young kids. But the original has a 'frame' made
up of ~ 1 inch thick pipes ( I am guessing steel) that I need to
remove. The frame held the backboard.
I saw another post (Need to cut 1/4 or even 3/8 steel, anything at Home
Depot or Lowes) that suggested a good hacksaw frame and blades wil do
the trick.
A time estimate was given of about 5 minutes on that one. Since I have
4 I am thinking 30 minutes for all 4? Can anyone validate this logic
for me? I am trying to put up a new basketball backboard for a 31
March birthday and the existing pole seems fine, albeit rusty.
Thanks for your time.
Reply to
bunchabunk
Angel grinder. 230mm disk, 2kW. 1 minute maximum.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Müller
Well, it depends a bit on the pipe wall thickness, also whether the access is good and whether you can hold them firmly. It should be practicable. If the pipe wall is thin (like, electrical conduit) you might find a "Junior Hacksaw" easier if there's stuff in the way of a big one. Often jobs like this are easier with a 4 inch angle grinder.
Reply to
Newshound
If you have or can get one of the 5" grinders and couple of blades, you can burn through the steel a lot faster than cutting. A 6" or larger grinder will go even faster.
Paul
Reply to
pdrahn
If you decide to go with a hacksaw get a High Speed Steel blade, not the carbon steel one. It's well worth the extra cost.
Wayne D.
Reply to
Wayne
From my experience living in the states up until 1982 they don't have junior hacksaws. On at least one occasion a neighbour with a VW was very pleased I had one brought back from the UK, as it was able to access and cut some items he was not able to do with any other tools at his disposal. It's definitely a useful tool as although I don't use it often, when required it may be the only tool for the job.
Newshound wrote:
Reply to
David Billington
The blade will probably be labelled as "bimetal" which means it has high-speed steel teeth with a more flexible (perhaps spring steel) back. It is possible to find solid high-speed steel blades, but they're uncommon and not very tolerant of an unsteady hand.
I'd recommend an 18 TPI blade. Starrett blades are excellent. Don't go for the grey-flex as they are not bimetal. The bluestripe ones are ideal but the greenstripe will do well also.
Regards,
Robin
Reply to
Robin S.
A 4 inch angle grinder is incredibly cheap - less than $20. Get one, you wont regret it - very useful tool.......
Andrew VK3BFA.
Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA
. Yes, I always confuse the two spellings.
Nick, not really angel-like
Reply to
Nick Müller