Off Topic: What do you think of my remote start installation?

x-no-archive:yes

I installed a remote starter myself and the results are posted on the company's website where I bought the remote starter.

It is on a 1996 Chevy Silverado truck. The link is half way down the page.

Just wanted to see what you thought. Be easy. I am not an expert at all of this. This was my first time installing something like this.

Reply to
stryped

Frank S.

What purpose does a remote starter serve?

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
stryped

Reply to
Leon

The Leon entity posted thusly:

Above line disabled.

I can't speak for stryped's car or brand of remote starter, but any well designed one will have all sorts of safeguards against this sort of thing. They pretty much have to be well designed in this day of litigious actions for virtually every little thing.

The one on my wife's car, for example, cannot be moved after starting the engine remotely until the key has been placed into the ignition switch and turned to the 'ON' position.

With the motor running after remote starting, you cannot place the transmission (automatic) into gear without pressing the brake pedal. Pressing the brake pedal before inserting and turning the key will cause the engine to shut off immediately.

A remote starter is a marvellous invention for those of us in the frozen north, who would much rather enter a warmed-up car with the seat heaters already going.

222 80361 body The Leon entity posted thusly:

[...]

Oleg Lego

Agreed.

Sounds reasonable.

Cool

So uh you can do like us in the South and simply go out there, start the car, and then go back inside? ;~)

How hard is it to start the car from inside the house? I am for ever accidentally unarming my car alarm when the change in my pocket pushes on a button. That would be kinda tough on a car engine idling all night long.

Reply to
Leon

It prevents you from being killed by an explosive based mob hit.

Unless they wire it to the headlight switch or the back up lights

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Sometimes it helps to sit drinking that second coffee before you dig your way to the car and start scrapping ice off the windshield (and by this time the ice will slide off in one sheet).

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Great Concept! Maybe if they had had those 30 years ago I wouldn't have left Saskatchewan, but not likely.

Reply to
Tom Miller

I've done that too. Now, when I walk in the house I toss my keys on a shelf.

My next car WILL have a remote starter.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

These remote start systems incorporate a kill function for just this type of thing or for theft prevention. You have to insert the key and turn it to the normal run position to do anything. Simply stepping on the brake pedal is usually enough to kill the engine.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Professionals don't use electric caps, they wrap a fuse around the exhaust manifold which will light up at high speed. If you survive the boom you still have to survive the crash ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 05:40:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Pretty please, will all you guys STOP quoting the stryped and Cliffy trolls every day?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A properly installed remote vehicle starter automatically locks the doors when it is started. It will not start an automatic transmission equipped vehicle if the vehicle is not in park. If installed on a manual transmission vehicle, the remote starter will not operate if the gear shift is not in neutral and the hand brake applied. Also, when you unlock the doors and get inside while the engine is running without the key inserted in the ignition switch, moving the shifter, or touching the brakes, will shut the engine off, and the key has to be inserted to start the car normally. You can not operate the vehicle if the key is not inserted. Of course, the kid may have the key, but then, the remote starter is not a factor in what happens next.

Reply to
willshak

They automatically stop after a predetermined amount of time. Mine's set at ten minutes, just enough to keep the battery topped off.

Reply to
Pop

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Tue, 21 Mar 2006 05:40:58 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Brakes might work too. Or the horn. (When I was in Egypt, I learned that a lot of the taxis had chirping bird horns wired into the brake lights. Step on the brakes and birds start chirping. "Cool," I thought, after I was pulled out of the street by Rafti and he then explained the practice.)

Of course, I recall placing ... never mind :-)

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Easier to move south :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Nah... he can't even imagine remotely starting a car while it's under water!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

But then you get snakes!