TIG Brazing

I have used my Lincoln 300 tig to weld but never braze. I am working on a project that has a 1/8" wide groove milled in 1/2" steel plate, the depth is about 1/16" what I am trying to do is fill these grooves with brazing rod than mill/turn flat so I have the steel plate with nice inlaid brass lines (making a sun dial) once all is flush, I will leave it out to rust then clear coat.

I have started using my torches but this plate is big and it takes alot of heat to do, also its hard to get the heat down in the groove to get a good flow without softing the upper edge, I want these lines to be sharp.

I have never brazed with my tig but here its done, any ideas?

Reply to
wayne mak

TIG brazing is incredibly easy.

There is NO FLUX used.

All you need is Silicon Bronze rod.

DO NOT try to use gas brazing rod, known as Low Fuming Bronze. It has too much zinc in it and will make a mess.

Silicon Bronze (Everdur), Nickle Bronze (Monel), Aluminum Bronze (Ampco), Manganese Bronze and Tin Bronze will work fine.

Do not use Low-Fuming Bronze, Phospor Bronze or Sil-Phos Bronze.

Zinc burns out under the TIG arc and Phosporus causes cracking in steels.

Use lower amps than normal. Lay down the bead as if you were welding.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Draft CO2 tank

all you need is a Keg and a restaurant style (valve instead of pump) keg tap and youre good to go

now as for filling it

you likely could exchange it for funn but gett>I have used my Lincoln 300 tig to weld but never braze. I am working on a

Reply to
Brent Philion

Asked a manufacturer about TIG brazing rods, and according to SIF here in the UK, phosphor bronze TIG brazing rod is used by people fabricating race car chassis components..............

Ken

No, they use Nickel/Bronze rods. It is a traditional way of building race care frames to braze them using nickel bronze.

I had a students years ago who was rebuilding a lotus racer frame. He had to special order the rod from England.

The manufacturers of Sil-phos bronze rod specifically state that it is never to be used on steel or stainless steel, due to phosphorus cracking.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie,

Any rule of thumb about how much one reduces the amps? IOW, if one was going to use 125 Amps to weld, should one start at 25%, 50%, 75% or ??% of that to start?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Strangely SIF do actually manufacture these brazing rods, and told me sil-phos rods are used to fabricate race car chassis parts.............guess they must be wrong.

Ken

Small world. I am the machinist for Dave Bean Engineering, we are Lotus's distributor for vintage racing parts for the Americas and I make our own custom parts. I use a gasfluxer for suspension arms, oil pans, etc. I am currently building 2 new reproduction "1965 vintage" Formula B (F2) cars I have low fuming bronze at work, but will take some of my brass rod from home in and see how it works with the TIG.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

In general bronze takes 50% of the amps for steel.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I found some brass rod in the shop marked "brazing rod for facing", no idea what it is but it TIG brazes great, unlike the low-fuming I tried last week. Very cool. Thanks Ernie.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

That is most likely Aluminum bronze used for build up on worn machine parts. Aluminum bronze is very wear resistant. It is very strong, but a little brittle in thin sections.

AMPCO is the most common name associated with aluminum bronze alloys.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I lap joined two pieces of thin stuff, appx. 16 guage, then tore them apart with pliers. The bronze tore, leaving metal on both sides. It was a good joint

Reply to
Stupendous Man