Argon/CO2 for TIG Welding?

Is it reasonble to use Argon(75%)/CO2(25%) for TIG welding? I would like to test the TIG feature on an old Miller 330A/BP (new to me) but don't have the money for the Argon tank right now. I already have an Argon/CO2 bottle from my MIG welder. Thanks, John

Reply to
JohnP

John,

You might as well turn off the gas and strike the TIG. You will oxidise the tungsten immediately. I don't think you will damage the equipment other than eating a tungsten.

If all your doing is seeing if the TIG strikes and arc it will work. For actually heating or welding something it won't.

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

You could use it to test if the machine works and the gas solenoid fires, but you won't be able to weld with it.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

As a newby, been there, done that... You will ruin the cup in very short order. (micro spatter on the edge of the cup)

Reply to
Mr Wizzard