Magic Filler Rod? (TIG)

greets all. my tig education marches on.. i realize this may be a vague question, but thats never stopped me before :) are there any do-all filler rods for welding the occasional mystery metals that come around?

maybe different MFR (magic filler rod) for different classes of material (ie, ferrous, nonferrous, etc).

when you just can't figure out what the base metal is and you just gotta weld it.. what do you do?

thanks,

-tony

Reply to
tony

I use the nickle based aerospace alloys as my catch-all filler rods of choice. Hastelloy W is my favorite, but Inconel 625 is pretty good too. They will weld anything that is iron or nickle based.

309L stainless is a cheaper alternative that works well on most steels and stainless steels.

Silicon Bronze will work on anything copper based.

4047 will work on almost any weldable aluminum.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler