mystery filler rod (bronze?)

picked up some surplus filler rod that i hope to use with TIG.. but i dont know what it is.

the price was right (cheap!) and i'm just learning, so just about everything and anything is food for my puddles.

the rods are 1.6mm and are either brass or bronze. (at least thats what color they are). judging from the seller, i'm guessing they were used for oxyact brazing/welding.

they're not too hard to cut with wirecutters (though harder than they appear) and cut with a definite 'snap'

i've read a few archives about tigging with bronze/brass and thought this was my chance to try.

are there any telltale signs while welding that would help me identify these? and if they are meant for O/A, will they work at all with tig?

sorry so vague,

-tony

Reply to
tony

If you try TIG welding with them and you get white powder around the weld, then you have "low-fuming" bronze, used for gas brazing.

You can TIG with it, but you will have to make sure you have good ventilation or you will get zinc poisoning.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Just a thought. They aren't steel gas rods are they? These are copper coated steel.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Try with a magnet to know if those are copper-coated iron.

Reply to
jerry_tig2003

turns out they're not coppercoated steel. the spit ALOT and generate white smoke in bursts. though the wet the parent metal pretty darn good. i'm guessing theyre the O/A bronze brazing rods. ah well.

hope everyone is having a good xmas,

-tony

Reply to
tony

In message , Ernie Leimkuhler writes

This low fuming bronze is probably a 60/40 brass ie Copper/Zinc hence the white Zinc oxide fume

Reply to
Gwyn Phillips