TIG Filler Rod

Filler rods
Let's see. There is 304 and 308 and who knows what else. I'm new to TIG welding exotics and have some beginner questions about it.
I bought some SS filler (got it at the local scrap yard for a buck fifty a pound) so I could learn how to TIG stainless. The rod is 308.
Does this mean that I can only weld 308 material with my 308 rod ?
And, how do you tell what material the SS is that you want to weld together ? Much (None) of the material is not marked.
I also got some aluminum rod (2 boxes, different barcode numbers) that is not marked with the type number. The label has been conveniently cut in the middle so I only have the barcode number. it's Harris so I might be able to run it down that way)
Is filler rod critical when you are welding ? I know that steel has its forgiveness but what about the exotics ?
BTW, I’ve signed up for the local VO-ED class for TIG welding. I want to learn the right way
JW
John wrote:

Have you had a good look at the rods themselves, all the TIG rods I have are marked at one end with the alloy designation.

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:47:47 -0500, John wrote:

You can weld stainless steel to mild steel. The rod you choose depends on the specs of the job. Almost any steel alloy will weld and flow together, but the resultant weld may not be as strong as you need, or have the correct properties such as corrosion resistance.
One nice trick with TIG is a no filler weld. For instance on a lap weld, the top piece is melted back far enough to contribute metal to the weld bead.
You can also use strips of the same metal as a filler "rod". Thin strips cut with a shear are ideal.
Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA
http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here: http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines /
Visit the castinghobby FAQ: http://castinghobbywiki.plansandprojects.com /
The member map is here: http://www.frappr.com/castinghobby

Several years ago tig rod started being individually marked, for good reason. You are playing with fire with mystery filler(and scrapyard mystery metal). There are many metals that are not to be welded without special procedure. I'll give you two examples. There are many free machining metals that are crack prone when welded (the 12xx series for example- resulphurized) very crack prone. Any barstock in a scrapyard--be suspicious. A friend of mine said he could tig weld so I let him weld some non-critical parts.When he ran out of the filler I set out for him, he (without asking) went to the filler rack and grabbed O-1 tool steel filler. When struck by a hammer, the weld easily broke. If you are not positive of the metal or filler NEVER do any welding where safety is concerned. If someone is hurt and it is traced to your weld mistake,in the sue happy world-good luck. Pay the extra for known materials and mark everything for identity.
Dixon
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:47:47 -0500, John <John Waverly at hot> wrote:

308 is good for most 300 series SS. use 309 rod for SS to carbon steel. 316 SS should be welded with 316 rod if you need to keep the strength and cororsion resistance of the 316.
I never used 304 filler rod.
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Do an RCM and SEJW search in google groups using "Ernie" and "TIG" as search words. Prepare to have your noggin filled.
John <John Waverly at hot> wrote:

--
John L. Weatherly
Nashville, TN