Filler rod for TIG on steel

Hello, What is the difference between using ER70S-2 rather than ER70S-6 for TIG welding steel? I have read that the S-2 is "triple de-oxidized" with aluminum, titanium, and ziconium which makes it a good choice for welding porosity prone materials (or dirty materials when GMAW welding). However I have also read that the S-6 rod is the best for porosity prone materials (or again dirty steel with GMAW) due do its higher manganese and silicon content. So what is better: more Mn and Si, or the "triple deoxidizer" cocktail?

I work in college welding lab that relies heavily on donated metal, and some of the steel we get shows some porosity when TIG welded. We are looking to stock up on filler materials, and I want to get TIG rod that will be helpful in minimizing porosity.

Another question: I read somewhere that ER70S-2 is a better choice for TIG welding 4130 chrome-moly (for weld joints needing high ductility, and that will NOT be heat treated after welding). Does anyone have thoughts on why that is? Thanks much!

Matthew C.

Reply to
matthew

S-6 will work but not very well for TIG. The extra silicon can react badly to the TIG arc and can cause more porosity.

No. Not ER70S-2.

You want ER80S-D2, a very different and stronger rod, that does work for TIG on 4130 tube without heat treat.

You can buy it from

Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks for the reply! What is the best rod for TIG on carbon steel, in your opinion? S-2? Thanks!

Reply to
matthew

S-2 I suppose, but I rarely use it.

Unless you are welding gun parts that need to color match for bluing I see no need to even use carbon steel filler rod.

Use 308L stainless steel filler. Flows better, stronger, and the nickel kills porosity on it's own.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Yep, I agree. I use 308L quite a lot for TIG welding steel. However, my objective at this point in time is to pick a good rod for the students to use when they are practicing, and I would like to find something a little cheaper. I like to have them spend a good amount of time welding carbon steel before I move them on to stainless. Thanks again!

Reply to
matthew

Then use Cold rolled sheet steel, or pickled hot-rolled, and ER70S-2 filler rod. That is the combo I used for 9 years at South Seattle Comm. Coll. for teaching TIG.

16 ga. steel, and 0.045" filler rod.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

On May 2, 9:31=A0am, Ernie Leimkuhler wrote: =2E..

308L on 4130?
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

For non-critical work it is fine. For critical work use ER80S-D2 on 4130

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks! I appreciate the reply.

Matthew C.