Silicon bronze brazing wire

Long ago my father had a connection with a fabrication house that used auto-feed Si-Bronze wire. He'd get the spool ends and we'd use the wire by hand with the OA torch at home. Wonderful stuff.

Is it still out there? I'd love to find some.

-- Carl

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

-- Carl West snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Carl West

Any welding store should carry Silicon Bronze filler rod.

The more common brazing rod for gas use is low-fuming bronze. It has zinc in it which drops the melting point and makes it flow better.

Never use Low-fuming bronze with a MIG or TIG welder. The zinc burns out and is nasty.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

auto-feed Si-Bronze wire. He'd get the spool ends and we'd use the wire by hand with the OA torch at home. Wonderful stuff.

Not sure where you are at, but Michigan Airgas sells it.

Jim Kovar Vulcan, Mi

Reply to
Jim Kovar