Phillips Spec(s)

So I've got a bunch of beat up Phillips head drivers and I want to clean them up and make 'em useful again.

Some have a fairly acute angle to them, some are less so, which is right?

What I'd really like to find is the spec(s) for the geometry of the various sizes of Philips bits. I haven't found the right set of words to let Google find it for me. :\

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

-- Carl West snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Carl West

clean them up and make 'em useful again.

various sizes of Philips bits. I haven't found the right set of words to let Google find it for me. :\

Reply to
whoanellie

They're not all Phillips screwdrivers. There are other designs of the + shaped bits and you have a combination of several different types.

-- There are more Democrats on the Calif. Special Election than Republicans! Go count if you don't believe me! Bob May

Reply to
Bob May

Bob May wrote: They're not all Phillips screwdrivers (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^ When I was learning to service a number of foreign-made machines, we were told that the metric + screwdrivers were sharper than the American ones. We called them ALL Phillips screwdrivers. There is probably a lot more to the answer than this.

What do you call a drink made from milk of magnesia and vodka? Ans.--a Phillips screwdriver.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

More than likely Pozidrive. They are noticable because the driver has 4 tiny extra *wings* offset 45º from the larger ones (like a Phillips). Typically the two are not exactly interchangeable, but I suppose you could mismatch them in a pinch.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Reply to
larry g

up and make 'em useful again.

sizes of Philips bits. I haven't found the right set of words to let Google find it for me. :\

US and Japanese Philips are different. The Japanese standard ones have a more acute angle. A US Philips driver tends to round out Japanese standard Philips screws. Found this out when we started getting Sony broadcast equipment. We had to order sets of Japanese standard screwdrivers for the shop to avoid ruining the screws.

They also use a different slotted screw design. It has a hole in the center of the slot, and the driver has a pin. Really much better than the plain slotted ones we use here.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman