5hp B&S flathead head bolt torque?

Anyone have even a rough idea?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Models 6B,60000, 8B, 80000, 82000, 92000, 94000, 110000,

100000, 130000, 5, 6, N, 8, 9: 140 inch pounds

Models 140000, 170000, 190000, 220000, 250000, 14: 165 inch pounds

Those are from my Briggs & Stratton Manual. Hope you have the model number handy :) I didn't see a quick cross for the cubic inch to horse power numbers. The model number relates to the cubic inches.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The 130000 is 5 hp (140 in-lbs). Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Thanks Leon and Bob.

-jim

Reply to
Jim Stewart

about 35 ft lbs as I recall - I used to have a book "small engine repair" by Briggs and stratton - but I lent it to someone and now I can't find it. you may look around for that book.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

B&S repair manual says 140 in/lbs for standard and Quantum 5hp engines. Thats 11.6 ft/lbs. I go 15 ft/lbs, but thats pushing it.

Reply to
WWS

Correct. I use 14 footpounds with no problems. Thats COLD. After replacing head gaskets, run the engine to operating temperature. Then stop, allow to cool to room temp and torque again. Just takes time to do it right.

Test the head bolts tightened at the factory sometimes, the low end engines are often wildly out of spec.

Reply to
bw
140 inc pound (15.93 Nm ) looks like too much, big chance fore the 5/16 bolts been broken off, i belive more off 45-50 inch pound ( 4-5 Nm)
Reply to
Clody

Standard torque recommendations

John B.

Standard torque recommendations

Jim Wilkins

How can a bolt of 5/16 been tighten with 140 inch pound...ho steel quality have this bolt🤔

Reply to
Clody

You're confusing FOOT pounds with INCH pounds . 140 In/lbs is less than 12 ft/lbs .

Reply to
Snag