Re: what metal to use?

Vulcan wrote:

By definition, 'blacksmithing' is working iron. 'Iron' for our purposes is everything from pure iron through wrought iron and mild steel to high and sometimes ultra-high carbon steel.
I think it's safe to say that, at least by weight, most blacksmithing is done with what's called 'mild steel', an alloy of iron with ~0.2% carbon. Mild steel is the most common iron alloy in our lives, it's all around us. You can buy it from a steel supplier and from most junk/scrap yards. You can often find useful bits in dumpsters and people's trash.
The rusty bits you find on the road are often higher carbon steels, often with other elements in the alloy. You can usually work with them too, but they will be harder, and maybe a little particular about what heat you work them at. If you use 'road iron' keep in mind that you don't know what you've got.
If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.
-- Carl West snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

Please update your address books with my new, correct address.

another
very simplistic .. it all depends on what you are making
i use old bed frames

another