Re: Chinese weapons

Pennsic War is 40 miles north of Pittsburg. At exit 99 off I-79. If you

> look into Sword catalogs you will find any sword you want to make. I use > Bud-K,CAS Iberia. or Museum Replicas. > Good Luck > > John Gelatt > > Do you know any good web sources for pictures of real > > Chinese swords and spears? My Tai chi crowd likes to play with toys and > > I can make them if I can see them. How far from Pittsburgh is the > > Pennsic Wars thing? > > > > > > Glen G. > >

Damn, I thought I was the lone Scadian here... most all the 'importers' have good replicas, for wall hangers. Visually, they're good examples, but usually weak in the shoulder for 'insurance' purposes. Beef up the transition from the blade to the tang and you'll have a real winner. Personally, I think that my swords scared the populace, one of my 'Large Lad' customers took down a four-inch diameter oak tree with a single stroke. Turn your coupe into a convertible in a half dozen whacks...

Charly

Reply to
Charly the Bastard

hey C, I have found a lot of links with crappy pictures. I have handled a lot of Japanese weapons and I have several good books that show breakdowns of the components. There is just nothing comparable that I have found. I'm not an SCA guy myself but my Taichi group is the real thing, not the touchy feely granola bar type. Do you know John Hamilton? He is a karate teacher here in Pittsburgh and is active in the SCA. He has a large weapons collection . I have talked to him on several occassions but never visited his Dojo. I supose I should. So matey, do you have a website where i can see your tools? Be well.

Glen G. in Pgh.

Reply to
glen

Nope, you aren't the only one!

Wes Marquart (aka Willam the Tinker)

btw: Jim Kotsonas told me to say "Hi" for him!

Reply to
Wesley Marquart

At one time I was Lord Guthbrandr Thorfinnson of the Barony of Rivenstar, Midrealm.

Ooh that was a long time ago.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I still am Meister Frydherik Eysenkopf. Pensic 10 was my second SCA event, haven't missed one since.

Yup.

-- Carl aka Fritz

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

-- Carl West snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Carl West

Yup, founder of the Tuchux. I made a pair of gauntlets for him in ~'81. Many are the stories about him, he would confirm nor deny any of them. Great fun to watch him dagger fight. Very efficient.

Reply to
Carl West

Website? whut'z dat? I wish. I don't even have a digital camera, or a scanner for the photos my photographer took before he croaked. I tried to get on the Row at Pennsick, no luck there either. Finally, I gave up, it just got too expensive.

I still have the fixtures though.

Charly

Reply to
Charly the Bastard

Tell ya what Charly, contact me @

abc AT hardboiledDOTplusdotCOM

and I will pay for postage so you can send me the pics, and I'll host (stick 'em on a website) for you.

Same goes for anyone else (by negotiation, I aren't paying U$D2 per photo for delivery to uk!)

I feckin' luv Ebay - I'm making so much money, it's unbelievable! :D

Reply to
Big Egg

Charly the Bastard wrote: > Damn, I thought I was the lone Scadian here... most all the 'importers' have

More SCAdians here than you might think, just lurking quietly...

Daniel of Rockhaven

Reply to
Daniel Dillman

I've got a scanner and can email the photos to the UK. :) That way the photos don't have to leave the US? SASE... cheap and easy for you and me. If you're in Canada, find a Canadian. ;)

Really how so? :)

Alvin in AZ ps- replace the upper case letters with panix pps- hiding the email address has sure been cool, except for one spam from inside panix i figure, i've had no spam! ppps- i've also recieved email photos and gave them a URL pppps- i have a bunch of "ISP disc space" going un-used ppppps- my scanner was $5 at the second hand store it's a HP-4c the software is free and down loadable from the HP website pppppps- the trick is to besure the connections on the scanner and your computer match... that's about it and you're in business ppppppps- i had paintshop-pro already that might be another hurdle pppppppps- 8 p's this might be a record for me on ps-ing ;)

Reply to
alvinj

I'm in UK, you send 'em, I'll host 'em Tho there is the rec.metalworking dropbox which will work just as well.

I *could* tell you. but then i'd have to charge you.

:.D

Reply to
Big Egg

Reply to
Charly the Bastard

Charly, what's a "MedFair"?

Eide

Reply to
Eide

Gotta be MEDieval Fair Like 'Renfair' is a RENaissance Fair(e)

and the food you eat there is 'RenFare'? or is that what you pay the taxi to get there?

Reply to
Carl West

It could have been the weather report for that weekend as well, not a cloud in the sky.

MedFair is like a RenFair, just a little further back on the timeline. This one was fairly well attended, having first started back in the mid '70s, and repeated annually. Personally, I don't vend at medfairs/renfairs. I like a little more control over who I sell to, these ain't wallhangers I'm fabbing here, and some of the yahoos that attend I wouldn't trust with a rubber ball, much less a sword.

Charly

Reply to
Charly the Bastard