Most rigid epoxy?

If this is an inappropriate forum for this question, please forgive and recommend a beter one.

I need an epoxy that "gives" as little as possible, such that the maximum energy is transmitted with as little loss as possible in the epoxy.

I have noticed that some epoxies are more "resin-y", and some are more "brittle".

Is this brand-to-brand variance, or are these qualities desirable in certain products of all brands?

Can someone recommend a good rigid epoxy? My needs are modest: room temp, holding only a few ounces, no heat or electrical conductivity required. It just can't be "soft". Prefer quick setting time (

Reply to
DaveC

You might try "Sci.polymers" for more responces. In order to get a better idea of the rigidity needed, what types of epoxy have you tried that were not acceptible? For me a rigid epoxy would have a Rockwell R hardness of 100 or more, and an elogation of less than 5%.

Reply to
Billy Hiebert

Try:

- a thinner bond line

- filled epoxy

- a little extra hardener

- cyanoacrylate

- spot welded studs, and nuts

It might help to know what you are trying to fasten...

-Mike-

Reply to
Mike Halloran

In a parallel thread he said "ceramic to glass". You may have since seen this.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc1.cox

You could add a filler to the epoxy to stiffen it up. Powdered (not ground) limestone will stiffen it up nicely (powdered limestone is often available at farm supply stores or you might be able to get some from your local little league, where it is used to chalk fields).

Another alternative is cement mix.

Reply to
Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

Along that line sauereisen might be interesting, but you will never, ever get it apart again

josh halpern

Reply to
Josh Halpern

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:47:56 -0800, Josh Halpern wrote (in message ):

Looks like some awesome stuff. Thermite might get it off again... :-)

Reply to
DaveC

In addition to many other sensible suggestions in the thread, try a polyester resin as used for surf boards and car bodging, they tend to be harder than epoxies.

If this is a commercial application it might be worth contacting CIBA-GEIGY (sp?) direct, they made us some custom brews for our solar car.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Reply to
Greg Locock