Wootz

GA wrote:
> The (reported) trick to Wootz was the separation of high carbon crystaline > structures and milder steel. ... there
> are a few folks who claim they figured it out on their own (mostly over in > Russia) in the last hundered years.
There was a write-up about 20 years ago in Scientific American about some Americans that stumbled onto how to make the stuff. It was extremely high carbon steel, somewhere around two percent, and a 15 hour high-heat soak. This gave an iron carbide lattice around ferrite cells. Then the material was forged (no hotter than red) to deform it at least eight to one. That gave it a ferrite body laced with carbide granules. And the classic 'watered' pattern.
-- Carl
If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.
-- Carl West snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net http://carl.west.home.comcast.net
"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.

There was a write up was last year in Sci Am, and the real key turned out to be Vanadium content.
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Cool. Which issue?
--

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

Not Sci. Am., but look at:
http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9809/Verhoeven-9809.html
Has most of the data.
Brian Huffaker, DSWL
i remember that it was a december issue
http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

Two groups, one recreated Wootz, the other developed an interesting dendritic steel. Mid-late '99, written up in SciAm and WiReD
--
Smert' spamionam