The Propane trick worked - OT

About a year ago we got OT on how to start small gas engines and some of you guys mentioned feeding the carbeurator some propane gas via your propane torch.

Well, it's snowing like crazy here in central PA and I haven't needed to start the Gravely with it's snow blower since I brought it up and put it in the garage in September. Had difficulty getting it going the normal way. Flowed a little propane into the carb - turned it over - fired right away !! but quit. Next time I flowed in the propane and closed the choke behind it. Fired right up and ran like usual. Hot darn. The propane trick works!!!!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Now if I could just get rid of the contact gremlin inside the starter switch so that the starter would catch consistantly. Oh well, what can you expect for a 23 year old machine that only gets run intermittantly.

Bob Lamparter

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******
Reply to
RWL

Hell, that machine is just beginning to get broke in What model have you got?

I've got three commericial 12s and a model "L". Wonderful machines. Is the little bendix not throwing the starter gear forward (try cleaning with mineral spirits and re-oil with very light oil, others may have better trick here) or is the electric contact switch bad? (replace)

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Model 5665 Professional w/ 12 HP Kohler engine

I really haven't done a lot of trouble shooting - it's 12º in the garage at the moment. I've had the stuck bendix problem before and relubed that. It's not the bendix. I tried turning the starter motor a little by hand in case there was a bad spot on the armature inside. When I turn the key, something clicks but doesn't make any attempt to turn the starter - that's even with the jumper cable from my car battery on it, so it shouldn't be the battery. I suspect it's the switch. I suppose it could be the starter relay down on the right side too. If it happens again, I may try jiggling the key in the switch. I thought about looking to see how to jumper the starter relay but it's dark down there and I didn't have a flashlight.

Bob Lamparter

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******
Reply to
RWL

Check all the connections in the starter current path; remember the ground connection too. All it takes is a thin layer of oxide grunge to get the 'click' results you describe. BTDT - cold fingers and all!

Reply to
Fred R

In the small engine nobody-will-ever-believe-this dept:

As my MS has advanced, I've found it more and more tiring to carry water to the barn in Winter, to the point where it's become walk or work, choose only one. A line to the barn is cost prohibitive because it's ~150 yards of rip-rap former railroad bed. Maybe someday.

My wife and adult son insisted I buy a Gator-type machine or ATV or something, since I refuse to completely give up on keeping a few animals.

I bought a Yamaha Blaster 200cc ATV on Ebay which worked wondrously well until Saturday evening. It would not start at all. Mustered the wife and kids to help me carry water and started troubleshooting after the barn work.

Good spark, no fuel and nothing else I tried worked. After dark I gave up thinking: Uh-oh, maybe I wasted a fair chunk of money?

I called a family friend for help. Loy came over Sunday afternoon. We changed the spark plug, a common problem with Blasters, they spark outside the cylinder, but don't installed. No go. Checked fuel lines and carburetor. Still no go. Then Loy noticed a hissing sound when he removed the new plug.

The cylinder was holding pressure. As a last resort, we removed the spark arrestor muffler, thinking maybe a mouse or something had built a nest in there while it was unused for several months. What we found was ice! Heating the part released a 2-inch slug. Apparently my many short trips allowed condensation to collect in the low spot, which clogged the exhaust. If no air can leave the cylinder, none can enter since it was holding compression. Same as the old potato in the exhaust pipe trick.

I do have to wonder, though: How many times has failure to start/run been due to a frozen exhaust pipe?

Reply to
Johan

Had that same thing yesterday. A friend borrowed my Kubota to do some firebreaks as his is waiting for a bearing. Mine had not been started for about 2 weeks and started a bit reluctantly, starter did not turn over at normal rate. Loaded it on trailer and off he went. Would not start when he went to unload, dead at key but dull testlight at starter solenoid. Relay problem ? Jumper leads to battery made no difference so we changed battery, still no go. Jumper lead direct to solenoid and it started so we traced back. Cause was corrosion on earth lead where it was fixed to frame. Cleaned it and all is well. Wierd, as it was only about 20 minutes after it first started that it would not go. Temp was about

32C/ so it definitely was not too cold. (VBG) Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address
Reply to
alan200