'Normal To' trick in 2004

Hello All,

I just learned a new trick regarding using the 'N' keyboard shortcut for getting a plane or face to be normal to the screen. Planes were always a crap shoot as to whether or not they ended up how I wanted to view the part. Now, by accident, I found I can press the 'N' key twice or more times and each time it flips the view 180 degrees! This is great for me and so I thought I'd pass it along.

Sincerely, Jerry Forcier

Reply to
Jerry Forcier

It's listed in the What's New. FYI, if you CTRL-select two faces, the view will be oriented such that the first face is the front and the second face is the top, which gives you precise control.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

Hello Jim,

Damn! I thought I had discovered something undocumented! Anyway, it was a lot more exciting than reading about it. I even called my VAR to let them know. They hadn't known about it either.

Say, thanks for the amplification on the topic!

Sincerely, Jerry Forcier

Jim Sculley wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Forcier

Oddly enough, when I select a face then press N the only thing that happens is that my cursor disappears until I move it.

Reply to
Jeff N

Jeff,

Check your keyboard customizations to confirm that 'N' is set for 'Normal'. Find it at the bottom of the list in 'Other'.

Good luck understanding those sentences, Jerry Forcier

Jeff N wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Forcier

BTW, selecting 2 faces also works in 2003, and they don't have to be perpendicular. The first one selected id the normal one, and the other one goes "up".

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I think it's been this way since at least 2000.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

'Normal' isn't even listed under 'Other' in mine.

When I press 'N', nothing happens...2003sp5.1

Any ideas?

Thanks Whit

Jerry Forcier wrote:

Reply to
whit

Normal came in with 2004 and the default hotkey is 8 to fit in with the other 1 thru 7. Not sure where the "N" came from.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Thanks you Jerry.

I am very like this one now too.

I am now just undiscovereing these buttons can be assign and I save the times.

I also find pressing of the mouse middle button to make move rotations of view on the flys. We always learning here.

Sincerefully,

Habib

Reply to
Habib

Habib, if you ever come to Kansas City, call me - I'll buy you a cup of coffee just to sit and talk with you. I always enjoy reading your messages. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Gee, none of the rest of us get that offer!

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

What do you have to offer?? :-)